Car grooming

atenza3, May 17, 2:55am
Any recommendations for a good car grooming company to use in Auckland to get rid of cigarette smoke smell from interior of car

xs1100, May 17, 7:50am
what area are you in

gooddealz2, May 17, 12:02pm
I've actually been thinking of grooming cars from home for an extra dollar.Is there much involved!Like to think I do a good job but would only want like one or two a day at the most.Hadn't thought about cigarette smoke being a non-smoker.I paid a fortune last time I got a car done and only because I couldn't be bothered polishing it at the time.It was only slightly dirty at the time and iI wasn't that thrilled about the result so have been doing them myself over last couple of years.

atenza3, May 17, 7:43pm
West Auckland. Only wanting the interior done to get rid of the stinky cigarette smell.I hate it

doublek, May 17, 9:03pm
The key is to get the filter in the air cond unit changed as this is where the smell comes blasting out at you on a hot summers day and you turn the air cond on. Getting the seats and carpets professionally steam cleaned will help. There is a product from Wurth that is a small can that you activate with the car running and the aircond on recirculate. Close up all windows and leave it closed for around 5 minutes. Someone smoking in a car is like losing something else when you're a teenager, there is no way to get it back (without major surgery).

gunhand, May 18, 1:01am
I do a bit of grooming at home from time to time and to do a real good job its not a 5 min job. On average I spend 5 hours on the inside alone getting into every nook and cranny. The out side adds another couple of hours to it.
after a while you get quicker but if your times your own as such it dosnt matter.
You use more elbow grease than product so cleaners etc last a long time.
Unfortunatly you can not really charge what other trades do per hour otherwise you would never get any work. But for the outlay its not bad bit of extra cash.
And you will be surprised how physical it is as well.

gooddealz2, May 18, 2:25am
Sounds like I should come down one day and see what you do.I rattle round all day until 4p.m. when I start work so should be able to do one in a day anyway.I knew it wouldn't be a five minute job but just not sure what people expect exactly.

gunhand, May 18, 3:03am
I thought about starting a Business down here as there isnt one here but because of the downturn (or whatever you want to call it) car yards are doing there own and couldnt give us comfirmed numbers if any they would want done.
surpriseingly the general public was interested but still not enough to take a risk as Joe Blow dosent get his car done that often. Interest was from real estate agents lawyers and doctors. Anyone who have people in there car really.
to make it work two people would have to do 3 cars a day everyday.
That mind you was renting a building. doing it from home is a whole different thing if you have a decent garage.
Most just excpect there car to look clean and a good vaccum plus nice and shiney. I dont think half see that you have cleaned under the doors and round hinges and other not really seen places.
I had one woman showing all her friends how clean her car was LOL which is good advertising.
Its pretty random really and I dont advertise although maybe I should.
Its not hard to make some cars look way better if they are in a real mess.

xs1100, May 18, 8:03am
if you see ryan at autocourt in new lynn their x groomer has started up a business over there and is getting a lot of dealer work shes been doing it for years and does a real good job along binstead ave and 1st road on left

noelsgimps, May 23, 12:04am
You will often find that the ashtray is where alot of the smell is from if it is a Japanese import.
When I used to groom cars the ashtray was one of the first things to come out.
Look under the steel flap. There is a good chance that it is a tar/brown colour from cigarettes and stinks.
I used to clean it with an acid for cleaning mag wheels.
After that, a shampoo of the upholstery should do the trick.

johnf_456, Mar 22, 6:16pm
If the car has one, not all do.