Buying a brand new car

Page 1 / 2
jmhb51, May 18, 8:03am
If I buy a brand new car, can I negotiate a discount on the price!
How much should I ask for!

vtecintegra, May 18, 8:06am
Depends on the car, there is more room to move on some than others.

jmhb51, May 18, 8:15am
Looking at Honda-who say they refuse to discount - or Toyota or VW.

clark20, May 18, 8:18am
Add extras like mats and mags etc and say I will buy it if you do XX and XX, maybe a free service etc

thejazzpianoma, May 18, 8:32am
Just make sure you don't get obsessed with who is supposedly offering the best discount. The best car for you should be the first priority.

Remember too to consider resale. Toyota's always seem to command absurd second hand prices. Shame is you get less car for your money though.

Also, consider economy. The VW's are outstanding in that department and Honda arn't far behind. VW is a clear winner if you want to buy an automatic, their DSG transmission is still the clear winner 7 years after its release. It wins on economy and performance.

cowboy110, May 18, 8:37am
Same as anything I guess.Cash talks.Assuming the "brand new" car you are looking at is a 2011 model and you are paying cash, you have HUGE bargaining power.If however, you are buying it on tick I'd say your bargaining power is somewhat limited.

shark574, May 18, 8:48am
Rubish. Car dealers make alot of money out of financing cars. They get a kickbac out of every deal.

_peas, May 18, 8:53am
Bear in mind that if you have a trade you will generally get a good price for that and full price on the new model or a low trade and a discount on the new model. not usually both.How much should you ask for!Thats a pretty general question isn't it!What price is on the car!How much can you afford!

jmhb51, May 18, 9:03am
Any difference between the Honda and the VW in terms of ongoing costs - service, maintenance etc!

thejazzpianoma, May 18, 9:06am
I wouldn't think there would be anything in it. Just be aware there are a few loud mouth nutters without a clue who will try and tell you rubbish about VW parts or maintenance being expensive just because its not Japanese. Its completely untrue, VW parts are plentiful and very well priced. They are also very low maintenance vehicles.
What size car are you looking at! Are we talking Golf/Passat!

pandai, May 18, 9:13am
Honda dealer servicing is not that cheap so I doubt there would be too much of a difference there.

My Father just bought his fourth new Honda.No discounts unfortunately.Many other brands were dirt cheap though with their fleet pricing though. but the cars just were not as nice.

jmhb51, May 18, 10:09am
Am looking at VW Golf

jmhb51, May 18, 10:10am
or Honda Civic.Want an automatic.

vtecintegra, May 18, 10:28am
Probably a bad time to buy a Civic as its due for a refresh.

jmhb51, May 18, 10:39am
How far away is the new model!

vtecintegra, May 18, 10:45am
The new US one has just been released but the Euro one isn't due until later in the year.

I assume we'll be getting the US model but not sure how soon.

thejazzpianoma, May 18, 10:53am
I would definitely go with the VW. The DSG gearbox is a much better system in that size vehicle than a conventional auto or CVT for starters. The VW TSI Petrol engines and Common rail diesels are just sublime as well.

DSG, basically gives you all the low service requirements and economy of a manual with even faster shifting and all the ease of operation of an auto. In fact you wouldn't realise it wasnt an auto unless someone told you.

Pretty much VW have been in a class of their own for the last 7 years. The other manufacturers are only just starting to catch up with their clones of VW's technology and many are still not there and those that are are not as good. Thats what happens when you have the biggest budget and are happy to spend it on research and development and have a focus on producing a top quality product.

oakie, May 18, 9:14pm
Of course they all negotiate! with the exception of Honda which is expensive anyway. Go into the dealerships one or two days before the end of the month when they are trying to get their new car numbers up and stick your checkbook on the table. If you are trading your old vehicle then you may be asking way too much for it for them to discount.
Anything, in bad times can be negotiated.go hard!

big.b-lil.c, May 19, 1:10am
the dealer wants to sell you a vehicle thats how they make money. make up your mind what spec you want and know what the comparable cars sell for (don't walk in and say xxx brand will give me.).if i don't get what i think is fare i walk away, i have had the dealer follow me and say wait until i talk to the boss, if they don't follow, you pushed to hard.
if you are happy with a deal when you do it don't get worry about your friend who could get you a better deal if only you had.

foxdonut, May 19, 1:15am
Unless you have a broker trying to get you a Ferrari Italia or a Porsche GT2 RS into the country you'll probably find that prices are pretty firm on the sub 40k range.

In most cases a dealership won't discount cash, but they'll be easily persuaded into giving you free stuff like mud guards, floor mats, cosmetic upgrades, extended servicing deals etc.

At the end of the day, a lot of those things are worth more than a discount up front when it comes to selling the car later and worth pushing for.

jmhb51, May 19, 5:17am
can't get Honda to come up with any extras!

pandai, May 19, 7:37am
Not surprising

thejazzpianoma, May 19, 11:26am
Struck a nerve did I!

321mat, May 20, 12:00am
Any dealer should be able to offer AT LEAST a $5000 discount on the sticker price, AND also give you ONE YEAR of FREE SERVICING.If not three.

Whatever you do, DO NOT BELIEVE for even a second that their margins are tight. this is just BULLSH1T.The REAL truth is, Because the market is slow, they want to maximise their profit on all the cars.

Remember, car dealers LIE for a living.
Subaru are Hyundai dealers are the worst.

Honda and their no-discount stance is just smoke and mirrors.IE, A lie.

Remember:YOU are the customer - YOU have the money - and tell those maggots that unless you are given the deal YOU want, YOU will go down the road and buy something else - deal with the dealer principal if necessary.
YOU will get your deal - but ONLY if you stick to your guns.

Oh, and if you do go down the road and buy elsewhere after some clown has tried to rip you off and failed - remember, that AFTER you have bought your new car to GO BACK to the rip-off dealer and tell him, "Look what I just bought, FROM SOMEONE ELSE, because YOU were too greedy to do a decent deal".

They hate that.

321mat, May 20, 12:02am
Fourth new Honda, and NO discount!
Bloody hell, they saw him coming.

Typical crooked Honda dealers.