First car

Page 1 / 2
2gangsta4u, May 12, 8:38am
So Im looking to spend around 3k, really want one of the early to mid 90s BMW 318s but everyone says they cost a hell of alot to repair when something goes wrong, and that I should get a jap car. thoughts! thank you

gilligan2, May 12, 8:40am
You wont find the answers you want in here.

Trust me.

richard198, May 12, 8:41am
Toyota Corona (max. 100,000Km)

mugenb20b, May 12, 8:45am
For $3k, I wouldn't be looking at BMWs, but something basic and simple.

michael.benn, May 12, 9:39am
LOL I was just saying to my mate "I bet jazz'll post a fiat ." and you didn't disappoint =P Cheers ;P

aleestar, May 12, 9:45am
get a holden or a ford

grangies, May 12, 9:47am
It's bum looks funny.

A squinting bum.

franc123, May 12, 9:48am
Sure thats what the rest of us would do but it may not be advisable for a U25 driver, most insurance co's aren't into the combo of 6cyl vehicles no matter how small, and inexperienced drivers.I'd be checking what the buggers would sock you for first before agreeing to buy one of the larger engined models.

foxdonut, May 12, 9:48am
They're a shit car. There's one or two people on this board will go on about how they can do a thousand kilometers per hour with fifty people in the back and a horsefloat in tow and how they get a million kilometers per litre and never break down but having owned one myself I'd say they're garbage.

320 is even worse. The economy of a V8 with the power of a sewing machine and with brakes made out of teflon. Had one of those too. Worst car I ever brought. Such a disappointment.

At the bare minimum you want an E36 with 2.5 litres, colour matched skirts and a full leather interior and you won't get that for 3k.

If you want to learn the lessons of car ownership and what it takes to actually own and look after a car your first should be a manual, carbed if possible, used jap car because chances are good you'll prang it and possibly want to save yourself cash by doing the basics like servicing yourself. The amount you learn with the first will just make the next and so on so much easier and better to do each time.

franc123, May 12, 9:49am
What like a Barina or a Festiva!Last time I checked they both sell more than one model.

michael.benn, May 12, 9:56am
Yeah apparently if you get a BMW anything below 323 is gutless because of the weight of them. Mate has a 328i '96 E36 sedan, 2.8 Litre, pretty beasty. It's been "done up" but not in a ricer way. Quite classy.

mr_lovebug, May 12, 9:59am
How about asking for Insureance,you will find 1st car = higher insurance too.

I know that many companys have a short list of what they will allow for 1st car drivers,and NOT allow anything out of that list!
That covers V6's/V8's and euro cars.

Talk with different insureance companys.

foxdonut, May 12, 10:00am
I don't find them fast. I had briefly an E46 328Ci, in a manual, and that still didn't do it for me. Nice to look at, but if I were buying a BMW again it'd only be an M5, Z4 Coupe or something classic like the old six series. 540 might get a look in, but they're an old car now.

thejazzpianoma, May 12, 11:01pm
Fiats are usually really easy to get insurance for, even some of the quicker models. They fly under the radar of thieves and boy racers.
For your budget I would question whether anything more than third party is going to be economical anyway, regardless of brand.

thejazzpianoma, May 12, 11:03pm
I would hate to dissapoint!
That is a LOT of car for the money though, the only point that could be disputed is the styling (which I actually like but is not everyones cup of tea).

richard198, May 12, 11:15pm
Not very "gangsta" , eh!

vtecintegra, May 13, 12:24am
I don't think there is anything too wrong with a 318i provided you get the manual - shouldn't be noticeably slower than a Brava in a straight line and handles much better.

You do get all sorts of niggly problems with older BMWs though, trim falling apart, trouble with locks and electric windows, that kind of thing.

hutchk, May 13, 12:40am
A turbo Subaru at those k's is a great idea! Just make sure you put aside an extra $10K to replace the turbo. Then the other turbo. Then the 'box. Then the diff. Then 53 different sensors. Then.

2gangsta4u, May 13, 12:45am
hmm

thejazzpianoma, May 13, 5:02am
The Brava mentioned is the 1.8 (as opposed to the more common 1.6) the manual BMW does look similar on paper but drive both and you will definitely notice the difference. Mostly its the overtaking where you will spot it, the BMW tends to make lots of noise and fairly hard work of passing whereas once the revs are up on the Brava it will really get out and boogie. Two cars designed for quite different conditions.

BTW, the 0-100 of around 10 seconds on the Brava is slower than you would expect due to the awkward gearing. The gearing works well in practice (suits passing well) but dosn't suit the 0-100 standard test.

Not that it really matters, I don't think the Brava will pass the Gangsta test somehow.

michael.benn, May 13, 5:05am
I asked him if he'd consider a swap for my accord =P

carkitter, May 13, 7:29am
I'd stay away from those. I drove one for 18months as a company car and it was slow, depressing and NOT economical. My 1800cc DOHC VTEC '94 Integra running 98 octane fuel had better economy, twice the speed and 1,000,000 times the street cred. They aren't that reliable either as they have issues with air flow meters.They make a good car for young females who don't know any better and can't tell a hub cap from an oil cap I suppose.

johnf_456, May 13, 7:41am
Not a bad option, not the most powerful car but they are ok. Those engines are very reliable other than some air flow meter which a lot of cars get issues with.Depends if you just want something has a work hack or you want something for more open road driving.

craig04, May 13, 7:46am
Of course they are easy to insure. The only people who buy them are little old ladies and the horsey set. Most car thieves would sooner steal a bus ticket.
It doesn't matter that I agree.

_peas, May 13, 7:54am
You're better off with an Accord.A friend had one of these.Manual 1800cc.Underpowered, all manner of things going wrong. roof lining falling off, panel clips snapping off, used plenty of gas, ABS crapped out, headgasket went (though this was probably due to lack of maintenance).You can do much better though.How about a Levin/Trueno 4A-GE.Plenty of go and up there in the bulletproof specs.