Old car low K's or newer car high K's?

tgray, May 10, 8:37am
I know you will say it depends on the type of car, but relatively speaking what would you prefer! I personally would go for a later model car with higher K's.

grangies, May 10, 8:41am
Depends on the individual vehicle.

For Example . A 30yr old S CLASS Mercedes with only 100,000k on the clock is much better than a 2002 Hyundai with 230,000k etc.

jasongroves, May 10, 8:43am
I would say it would also depend on how it has been driven and treated.
I would prefer a high Km vehicle that has been maintained and mainly run hot over a car that has not been maintained and only does shorts trips to the dairy on cold starts.
Theres some real bargains to be had with late model, high Km vehicles.
I think people look too much into Kms and base their purchase on that alone in some cases.
You've got to remember, in a lot of cases, vehicles may have low Kms, but how many hours has it clocked up sitting idling!

franc123, May 10, 8:47am
As long as they've got good service histories, yes go for the newer car.People have often ended up with expensive lemons by paying high prices for the older stereotype one little old lady owner low km cars that are allegedly in mint condition, only to find that they've only done cold running to the hairdressers/supermarket/bowli-
ng club and back once a week and never serviced them properly with the excuse "I don't do a lot of miles dear, it was only serviced three years ago" blah blah, and ends up costing the new owner a heap in mechanical repairs and deferred maintenance.

vjregal770, May 10, 8:50am
When I was car-buying last year, it came down to a 2004 Maxima with 69K, or a 2007 Accord with just a tad under 100K. I went with the Nissan.

The Accord on close inspection did show signs of having a not-so-pampered life though, as it was a company car, the Max was 1 private owner.

Had the Max showed signs of a rough life, and the Accord still high mileage but impeccably kept, it'd be a different story.

grangies, Feb 4, 2:18am
Sounds like a good choice.