I got told our car should be running on 96 - 98

pipstarz, May 7, 6:25am
We have a twin turbo legacy and are running it on 91, sometimes on long trips going up a hill the 'engine light' will come on, If we stop and turn off engine, restart the light will stay off for ages. We put it down to a sensitive level reading, (all fluids are fine) A farm mechanic today suggested it needs different fuel. How does different fuels effect an engine!

jasongroves, May 7, 6:26am
95 minimum.

jasongroves, May 7, 6:27am
Shouldnt be causing an engine light to come on though unless its pinking severely.the ECU should compensate enough to prevent it.

jasongroves, May 7, 6:27am
You need to have the ECU fault codes checked.
Not that hard to DIY if you are that way inclined!

franc123, May 7, 6:29am
please don't tell me you think the check engine light is related to how much oil is in it!The answer to the fuel issue is yes, it should be run on 95 at the absolute minimum.

jasongroves, May 7, 6:32am
20psi! Not that I'm aware of!

pipstarz, May 7, 6:52am
Thanks guys,,, good news is thatwe haven't put many K's on it since we owned it.

wrong2, May 7, 6:53am
the only things that should be running 91 , are used for cutting grass

orle, May 7, 6:53am
no owners manual i take it lol

NZTools, May 7, 10:04am
Definately run it on 95 or above, however I will put money on it not being the problem with the check light. I had the sane thing happen with mine a few years ago, long hills or towing a trailer on medium throttle openings the check light would come on, and every time it came up with boost control solenoid or circuit. . It took hours and hours of testing things that hads no faults before i found a minute leak in the primary off valve.It took a few minutes of driveing on very low manifold vacuum before it drained the vacuum tank under the left hand gaurd and tripped the check engine light.

Cheap fix. Bloody hard to find.

pipstarz, May 7, 10:47pm
Thanks NZtools, good to know.

pipstarz, May 7, 11:06pm
Also NZtools,,, Our car is still under a mechanical warranty how much roughly do you call a cheap fix!

NZTools, May 8, 1:14am
$25 for a second hand blow off valve.Get someone who knows what they are doing to check firt though. No point replacing it if there is another problem causing the same symptoms.

_peas, May 8, 1:39am
My s#itbox Camry does a rubbish job of cutting grass but you'd be mad thinking that its getting anything better than 91.

primemeat, May 8, 6:31am
I was told by the Subaru mechanic around here that using 91 in my RS would shrink number one piston.

johnf_456, Jan 27, 12:52pm
Always use the best fuel you can in turbo subbys