Reregistering a '78 car

hutchk, May 4, 7:13am
Anyone done this recently! There's a lot of conflicting info around re costs and the procedure to follow, any advice from those with experience appreciated.

franko171, May 4, 7:44am
normal reg cost has to be 40yrs old to get cheap reg

phillip.weston, May 4, 7:45am
being pre 91 it wont need to go through a harsh check but it will still be as harsh if not more than a WOF. I understand the compliance cost will be slightly cheaper too.

sandypheet, May 4, 7:52am
Cost will be around $300,you require proof you are entitled to have the car,usually a letter from previous owner or confirmation from the police that it is not of interest to them and of course proof of previous registration in NZ.Inspection is same as wof with close scrutiny of any repairs that may have been carried out.It will also be assigned a new 17 digit vin.

hutchk, May 4, 8:05am
Thanks Ian - I take it the 'dead' plates on the car are enough proof of previous NZ reg!

phillip.weston, May 4, 8:09am
it will need registration papers to accompany those plates, as anyone could have simply attached those plates to that car.

franc123, May 4, 8:12am
So does the $300 include the inspection, VIN tag, new plates and six months licence!Or is that extra!Just curious as have to go through this myself shortly with my current project.

sandypheet, May 4, 8:19am
Dosnt include rego,and the plate should match up to the vehicle identifiers that are attached to to car,if they dont then there is a problem.

phillip.weston, May 4, 8:19am
$300 will be for the inspection and VIN tag, once it has passed inspection you can then go and register it which will cost $291.11 which includes the plates and 6 months licence, assuming it's a conventional petrol passenger car, it will be more if it's a commercial and/or diesel engine. Then whatever repairs are required on top of that, it will probably need new brakes are the bare minimum. I would budget $800-1000.

franc123, May 4, 8:33am
Thanks, I didn't think it would somehow!

roys351, May 4, 9:12am
not last time i did it chassis no & plates was all i had was a while ago tho

roys351, May 4, 9:15am
oh and a letter from the cops saying it is not a vehicle of interest to them

hutchk, May 4, 6:47pm
All good info guys (apart from you franko), cheers.

tpl2, May 5, 7:58pm
Would it be similar costs for a motorbike!I have a 1987 model still with vin plate & paperwork but plate was returned to them some years ago.Wondering how much it would cost to get it back on the road.Cheers

intrade, May 5, 8:39pm
his info is correct also.

zab054, May 5, 9:08pm
franko means the relicence fee is 40.For 12 months.

crzyhrse, Jan 16, 5:13pm
But irrelevant as the OP asked about registration not licensing.