Subaru Towbar

primemeat, May 4, 6:58am
Mate is looking at a 2010 Outback. He wants a towbar put on and they are telling him its $1025 for a factory one to be fitted. My question is what happened to getting one for $300 like I got for my old sub. Dealer is claiming that its a factory one with factory wiring. Sounds like bullshit too me as Fuji heavy Industrys dont make towbars!

ryanm2, May 4, 6:59am
yep, they will probably get it fitted down the road for a few hundy and stick on a subaru sticker on it somewhere.

franc123, May 4, 7:14am
For goodness sake, its a factory APPROVED towbar, not one fitted in the factory.Probably locally made by an outfit like Bestbars and fitted by the dealership in question.This means that its approved to tow the maximum rated load for that vehicle, based on tests done with a special rig, mounted properly in a way that it won't damage the boot floor or chassis ralls on the car, is covered by the factory warranty and has a decent wiring harness that won't interfere with other systems in the vehicle if that applies.Does the $300 one do all that!

primemeat, May 4, 7:22am
Dont any reputable towbar makers certify their towbars!

lookoutas, May 4, 7:22am
When I upgraded my Subaru with one 10 years newer, the towbar off the old one fitted the later model.
They often don't change things too much, just the outer skins.

primemeat, May 4, 8:15am
[ Does the $300 one do all that![/quote]

Yes.Im sure it does.

aragorn2003, May 4, 8:25am
We got quoted $400 from north shore towbars to get one installed on a 97 subaru wagon , wouldn't be much diff i would have thought. Someones trying to take you for a ride it seems

dent, May 4, 8:32am
maybe the wirring in theses cars is fibre optic cable not ya standard cable like in the older subarus. Then they need to use a special interface unit so not to damage or put excessive load on the original system

curlcrown, May 4, 11:43pm
The only problem with fitting a non factory approved one is it might void the warranty. I would check that out.

primemeat, May 5, 12:19am
Void the whole warranty or just exclude having the towbar rip 4 holes in the subframe from towing a 4 ton trailer!

lookoutas, May 5, 5:48am
I searched the local Wrecking yard for some parts today, and noticed a number of Subaru wagons with towbars begging to be removed.

xs1100, May 5, 8:25am
yep would of 2nd ed that i know that on the late model commodores far better to do a deal with ya local holden parts guy and just get the full wiring plug in kit

bigfatmat1, May 5, 9:09am
Towbars don't need cert unless you have a cof so why would they.

ginga4lyfe, May 5, 9:16am
VERY unlikely, fiber optics only transmit light signals, they cannot carry current through them

primemeat, Jan 16, 6:00am
Thanks for all the advice. I will check out a few new Subarus around town and see what towbar they have fitted.