Cost of fitting a towbar

mscharlie, Nov 14, 8:25pm
Hi, I have been quoted $835.38 incl GST for supply and fitting of a towbar to a Honda Civic. I made clear that it was just for carrying bikes, not hauling boats. This sounds crazy high. Are they taking the piss or is this about right!

slarty45, Nov 14, 8:34pm
$260 for towbar & light plug fitted to new Suzuki
no charge for labour

mscharlie your quote has a significant greed content

mscharlie, Nov 14, 8:37pm
Nevermind, have answered my own question. For anyone else who wants to know - definately call around! I have got three other quotes: $456, $499, $578. Maybe the other company thought I wanted two. bizarre how they can be so different.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 14, 8:48pm
Hold on a tick,
What year is this Civic!
If its a late one, like many cars it may well be supposed to be wired with a proper loom. You can "fudge" it in various ways, some O.K and some dangerous both to your safety and the cars computer.

If the bulk of the charge was for the wiring, tread carefully and be wary of the cheap options.

mscharlie, Nov 14, 8:56pm
2003. I have given all the places the year and chassis/model number.

And really, if 3 companies give me similar prices - would they all be "fudging it" I would think the very expensive one is the one to be wary of!

thejazzpianoma, Nov 14, 9:01pm
Giving the places the year and chassis number does not necessarily mean they are all going to do it properly. Like I said there are various ways of doing it "on the cheap".
I am not a Civic expert but at that age I would suggest you do some checking.
Basically if the car uses the car computer to monitor the lights then just hooking the wires into those lights like in the days of old can do serious harm to your cars computer.
Furthermore, some cars need to "know" that a trailer is attached so they can alter their stability control program and other functions to suit. Some later cars even have a proper trailer stability program that requires the correct loom to engage.

So, while yours is possibly old enough for this not to matter it would be worth doing some checking to be sure.

With that age of vehicle it "may" be O.K to use a bypass loom which is a cheaper universal product that will just protect the computer but won't do anything for the stability control etc.

You are probably O.K but check to be sure.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 14, 9:12pm
Just had a super quick look, it would seem that yes you should be running at least a bypass harness for this car and it requires a power feed to be run right from the front of the car. My advice is to go back to the towbar places and find out just how they intend on wiring the car for you.

Here is a video showing whats involved using a U.S harness on a 2002 Civic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=BtQkyem04Is

BTW, sometimes you can save a few dollars by ordering a harness for your car online and then taking that down to an auto sparky for a wire up, or doing it yourself if you are capable.

tmenz, Nov 14, 9:34pm
Was one of those quotes from North Shore Towbars - they seem to do a good job for a reasonable price.

the_don_61, Nov 14, 10:15pm
I got a tow bar fitted to a Nissan V8 custom made and fitted.$250 .ring Blackwells .

U dont need a light plug, if towbar is for bikes.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 14, 10:59pm
Good point!

bryshaw, Nov 14, 11:20pm
6 years ago Honda dealer quoted $550 for my Civic, but being only 1500cc I decided to give it a miss.

socram, Nov 14, 11:40pm
We have had them fit tow bars to several vehicles over the years and about $300 has been the norm and that is always without wiring.
They stand by their work as we had one vehicle where it needed a slightly stronger bar (don't ask why.) and they reinforced it without charge.

Definitely don't need wiring if it is just for bikes and I am surprised no-one mentioned it earlier, so anything much over $300 is a rip off.

mscharlie, Nov 14, 11:56pm
North Shore Towbars have come back with a $475 quote (incl GST and wiring) and it has a 3 year written guarantee and fully certified etc. They seem like they know what they are doing.
Figured I may as well get the wiring just in case I fancy towing a trailer sometime.
And appreciate the time you took Jazzman and don't mean to be rude, but I don't bother asking mechanics how they are going to fix my car, I just trust them to do it. I can't see myself running around everyone requesting details about harnesses and bypasses and wiring feeds or showing YouTube movies.
Surely they know better than I do what they are doing. With the exception of cowboy flight by nighter operations which I wouldn't go to anyway.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 14, 11:59pm
Well that's entirely up to you, it has been my experience though that many places that should know better don't. You have been warned. Best of luck with it.

kazbanz, Nov 15, 12:44am
mscharlie-I would personally STRONGLY recommend you call Takapuna towbars and mufflers. 4897010. I have been using them for many years and they do a quality unit for a competative price. DO emphasise it is not actually a TOWBAR you need but actually simply for carrying your bike rack and also take the bike rack with you. There are two ball sizes in use so they will be able to match the towball to the rack for you. Without woiring it should cost under $400

gusthe1, Nov 15, 2:11am
Is there a bike rack specific towbar. Afterall this is for a Civic so is hardly going to be fitted with a heavy duty job. If carrying bikes is all thats needed why get a towbar. Buy a strap on bike rack for $200 and off you go. They fit sedans and hatches.

mscharlie, Nov 15, 3:48am
I have tried the strap on racks and found them awful.

kazbanz, Nov 15, 3:53am
no there isn't but my point really is that the towball sze needs to be right for the rack

allan_mac, Nov 15, 8:41am
Have you considered using a roof rack to carry your bike(s)!

shelleigh, Nov 15, 11:32pm
I got a quote about two weeks ago to have a tow bar fitted to my '96 Corolla. Told them it wouldn't need to be wired up as it was just to put a 2 bike rack on. Was quoted under $400 including installation.
So OP I say they are definitely taking the piss when you aren't wanting the tow bar wired up!

plasticboys, Nov 15, 11:43pm
l bought a sec hand one on here for a Honda Civic $150 put it on my self sweet as till by wife crached the car a week later so that was that

kazbanz, Nov 16, 12:44am
mscharlie-I would personally STRONGLY recommend you call Takapuna towbars and mufflers. 4897010. I have been using them for many years and they do a quality unit for a competative price. DO emphasise its primary purposeis not actually a towbarbut actually simply for carrying your bike rack Also take the bike rack with you. There are two ball sizes in use so they will be able to match the towball to the rack for you. Without woiring it should cost under $400

sharchew, Mar 11, 4:18pm
$250supplied and fitted