Primering my car :D

lazz323, May 4, 8:42am
wanting to respray my car really soon with panel beaters they said if i do the prep work myself i will save a lot of money,. OK so this is what i have heard, take clear coat off. sand down the paint till primer then if i wanted to re-primer the entire car (thing is i don't know which primer i should be using! i currently saw etch primer at super cheap auto is that a good enough primer for the job! and will it last long!) panel beater said i will easily save up to 1.5k,!

lazz323, May 4, 9:02am
its white paint from 1996, paint is clearly damaged etc and looks bad,

attitudedesignz, May 4, 9:06am
Was hoping you (rob) or gun would pop into this. I didn't know where to start lol.

I think OP needs to either ask the "panelbeater" more questions or give him a smack for talking crap lol.

grangies, May 4, 10:00am
If your car is white and built in 1997 and the paint is completelybuggered. Then.

The buggered paint on it may be due to some ugly panel and paint repairs in it's history.

If it is cracking or peeling then just priming on top will not fix the problem. As the cracks or peeling need to be removed.

Forget any crap etch from Repco or Super-Cheap.

Like rob-man says, you need a 2k primer surfacer.

gunhand, May 4, 10:09am
A white car from 1996, that narrows it down to a million.
As stated above there is no need to strip perfectly good paint to do a respray unless perhaps your doing some kind of resto.
And unless you know what your doing which it dosnt really I would let the shop do the whole thing. $1500 is bugger all when you get your back (that you prepped) and find its all ripples etc. Also there will be no come back if you have probalems later on. Most paints have very good warrenty systems but as soon as someone hears you prepped it its void.
You need to tell us more about the car.
and if it is a pearl which it could be as there were a few around at that time it really makes no difference to the prep.
Do you have to prime whole car! and using another manufactures product before paint will also void warrenty.They (panel/painters) will be the first to tell you to "go away" if theres problems later and blaim the primer you used or poor prep work.
And you want to be using 2k products not some supercheap 1k stuff.

brad166, May 4, 6:43pm
wow you guys sure seem to know it all about painting.
You are all wrong though.
The best way to do the priming at home yourself is to get a steelo pad and take away the shine of the paint. In hard to get at places use a wire brush.

Once this is done go to a paint shop and get about 10 spraycans of primer. You can use these as a wet on wet (one coat of primer over the prep then paint)

Saves a lot of time and effort.
Maybe it wont look as professional as the professionals but it will look as good as the local indian backyard painter job

brad166, May 4, 6:45pm
Not 100% true in all cases. I know of a lot of shops who got rid of 2k solids and use a bc/clearcoat even for solids

grangies, May 4, 7:03pm
Yes that is true in the repair industry. And new cars these days.

But the chances of an average 1996 white vehicle being a silid white base/clear are slim.

elect70, May 5, 1:22am
Most will let yousand it back & remove trimetc . Painter will do the rest . Unless you want a quick blow overjob thenjust sand back & get him to spray it in cheapest stuff can get.

gunhand, May 5, 4:20am
Yea, Im not sure if he was being serious or just joking. It was hard to tell. I was about to make some not so pleasant comments about what he said but then I thought maybe its a joke. And in these dark days of mindless warnings and bannings you gotta be carefull.

lazz323, May 5, 5:41am
so maybe just a good sand will do! instead of primering it!

gunhand, May 5, 6:19am
Tell us about the car, and its paint condtion.

snowballs4, May 5, 8:16am
omg stealo what a job lol

snowballs4, May 5, 8:18am
shit primer= shit finish its that simple, let the pros tackle it, its alot of work getting it right,

brad166, May 5, 8:51am
That all depends on whether you are an indian or not i guess!
You could always do an asian finish and dont sand it. Just spray a coat of 2 way thinners on to soften the old paint and then hit it hard and fast .

I dunno really. I am just saying these are the ways you could do it and it is only my 2 cents worth.

brad166, May 5, 9:11am
dont worry it isnt just the asians and indians i am obsessed with.

You also have the islanders that rub cars down with bananas and mask with the taro leaves.

Then there is the white painter who has everything at their disposal and still cant do it right.

Better off just using the steelo pad if you are doing it at home. Just saying you cant really do any worse using a steelo pad instead of scotch-pad or a festool if you dont know what you are doing

gunhand, May 5, 9:17am
Then there is the white painter who has everything at their disposal and still cant do it right.
brad166 (60 )9:11 pm, Wed 4 May #22

I think you could apply that comment to any trade really.
Your not really making much sence and not sure what your really trying to say.

brad166, May 5, 9:19am
not really worried about making any sense to be honest. and notice it is sense not sence.

But anyway better shut up now before someone complains

gunhand, May 5, 9:26am
Well if you want to be picky you need to use capitals at the start of sentances lol.
I fully admit to being a useless speller and find people only fire that picky shit when there proven wrong or can no longer justify there point and resort to school yard tounge poking and my dads a policeman crap.

hijacka, May 5, 9:32am
Haha, and bet ya the islander holding the banana is your boyfriend aye brad.
Theres no point putting jam on a car that need dents filled and panels blocked back with a trained eye first. simple.

lazz323, May 5, 9:35am
white 2 dr , paint is chippingin few places, was going to sand that down re-primer and can see cracking in paint,

brad166, May 5, 9:39am
holy carp my dad is a policeman.
i like to keep my tongue in my mouth rather than licking sheet

hijacka, May 5, 9:39am
Is the cracking in the paint evrywhere or in places where theres slight damage! If its crazy crack then it will need to be rubbed back too pretty much bare metal.

lazz323, Jan 15, 3:14pm
its only cracking in a certain spot, and the stress cracks are tiny where are in one spot also then thats pretty much it for the car, it seems that it gets damaged easy, even a slight rub of say, plastic as u walk past will leave a black stain on the car