70 series v8 diesel landcrusiers

linberry, Apr 30, 2:58am
Any thoughts on these

vtecintegra, Apr 30, 3:31am
They are very much an off-road 4wd - even compared to something like a Prado they're a handful on the road.

NZTools, Apr 30, 3:57am
The early v8's had a few issues with burning oil, however they seem to bave them sorted now. They dont idle up over benches quite as well as the 6cyl's

linberry, May 1, 10:28pm
mainlyused offroad other 4x4s don't last

jasongroves, May 1, 11:52pm
Step dad has an 08 one.
Goes bloody well and will tow just about anything, excellent in the mud etc.
But as NZTools says, burns oil.something like 4 litres between changes.
Had to have the engine rebuilt under warranty at around 40,000kms.
Sounds cool for a diesel though;)

linberry, May 2, 12:36am
Anyone else had this problem

andrew241, May 2, 1:00am
Yeah we own some and wont be buying anymore, Oil use,blowing power steering pipes,valve on injector pump plays up,hub seals,cv,electric diff locks that wont engage when you need it,Injector that plays up. The list goes on.Now the new ones have air bags one in dash one in steering wheel.We have owned a few starting with old 45 series.The 1hz was far better in my opinon.

jasongroves, May 3, 1:37am
Well my step dad got rid of his today.lost a fair bit on it too (as you can imagine).
Probably OK if you are buying brand new, or a 2nd hand one that has all the issues mentioned above sorted 1st.
I do have a spare bumper for one if anyone needs one!.lol;)

debz911, May 3, 7:46am
We bought a V8 turbo diesel brand new late last year mainly to tow our boat but also for work. Had a custom deck made so can carry 2x quad bikes and tool boxes. Excellent - only fault is no covered carry space.

jeffqv, Jan 8, 6:07pm
Best oil burning 4X4 is the Grand Cherokee with the Merc V6.