Commie v8

skippy33, Jan 13, 9:42am
hi all,haveing a debate with workmate,he says the 5.7 ltr in the commies is the worst motor chev ever built and that it is not the same as in the corvette,and that its made in taiwan,i think he full of it.what do u all say

jmma, Jan 13, 9:43am
Thailand I think (o:

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 13, 9:55am
Sounds about right. And from memory the first of the LS1s put in the series 2 VT had problems with the alloy blocks being weak! Changed manufacturing to another country and fixed the problem! If my memory serves me right. Very vague on it

clark20, Jan 13, 11:45am
They had piston slap/oil consumption on the first ones, I am pretty sure they are all built in the states

skippy33, Jan 13, 7:32pm
bumping fr the morning crew

3tomany, Jan 13, 7:42pm
http://www.aussiev8.com.au/chevrolet/11849-gen-111-problems.html this might answer some of youre questions. youre freind wasnt completely full of poos but pretty close to how it is.

magicmat, Jan 13, 7:53pm
Great read and it pretty much covers everything I have heard/read about the LS1 engine. The first run of the commie GenIII was known for the piston slap and oil consumption issue but if they are still on the road now its likely that has long since been remedied.
I have VX with an LS1 and it makes no odd noises and never uses a drop of oil. Its reliable and seems cheaper to run than the Holden 304 engines. In fact as far as Commie engines go, the 5litre was a sluggish turd IMO, though it has a great sound. They came out stroked to 5.7 litres but still produced less power than a stock (5.7) LS1. The biggest shame with the LS1 is how restrictive the stock air and exhaust flow was, plus the very conservative ECU settings which really held the engine back. With a Mafless/cold air intake, headers and ECU remap these engines can easily be pushed to 300kw (400hp). Though valves and lifters may start to become a compulsory upgrade at this point, the bottom end on these engines is bullet proof.

magicmat, Jan 14, 9:04pm
Was thinking about this argument and I have to perhaps concede that the initial run of the (Mexican built) LS1's probably could take the dubious honour of being the worst Chev V8 engine.
But I would argue that after this anomaly in the manufacturing process (which resulted in the dreaded piston slap), the LS1 is a pretty sound engine.
It is light years ahead of the early carby 350's (though I realise it really only has capacity in common with them).