A quad diff and a weed eater clutch?

bjdw, May 1, 7:56am
Got a 5.5hp 4st motor for free.Thought I might have a go at making a little go cart.Some one suggested that a diff off a quad and a clutch out of a weed eater would make an ideal drive train.Yes, no, maybe!Any in particular type!Easy to get and cheap!Budget is not much to f*** all.Thanks.

bjdw, May 1, 8:26am
Ha, ha. I know it is only a little motor but it was free!So if you use chain and sprockets can you still use a centrifugal clutch off a weed eater or something similar somehow! ( I know I should be googling plans but I wouldn't mind getting some ideas first, thanks)

jmma, May 1, 8:44am
Is the motor vertical or horizontal shaft!

bjdw, May 1, 8:51am
It came off a waterblaster with the pump on the back of the motor. (Horizontal!)

jmma, May 1, 9:01am
Need to get centrafugal clutch set up from an old reel mower, they come eith the gear and chain, try asking at some mower shops

bjdw, May 1, 9:15am
Okay, cool. Maybe I can find a dead one of those locally.

skin1235, May 1, 10:09am
and with a couple of hours spare that belt system can be altered to be a very efficient CVT,, will boot a gocart along quite nicely, can even be setup as a deadmans clutch ( no push with pedal=no go - great for the younger kids, more push=more speed)

bjdw, May 1, 10:10am
Okay, Rob, thanks.

bjdw, May 1, 10:13am
Sounds a bit tricky for someone whose greatest mechanical feat so far is changing a set of brake pads (i.e. me)

bjdw, May 1, 10:17am
So the pedal would be moving a belt tensioner!

thejazzpianoma, May 1, 11:13am
If this gocart is just for mucking about in mainly flat paddocks etc you could actually just drive one wheel. It keeps things simple and works very well.

Centrifugal clutch from a reel mower is good but they are getting a bit pricey to buy now.

You can buy them on here etc on their own and the after-market general use clutches can usually be altered (by changing the springs) to best suit your application.

bjdw, May 1, 11:29am
What kind of revs would a chinese replica honda 5.5hp 4st engine idle at / run at! Or is that to broad a question!

thejazzpianoma, May 1, 11:33am
I would say the 2200rpm engagement speed of those clutches in the link I posted would be about right. Posting a question on that auction could likely yeild you some useful info.

You want a bit of margin between idle speed and engagement so you don't chew the thing out while idling, and it gets a few revs up before full engagement.

bjdw, May 1, 11:39am
Thanks Jazz, I will post a question on that auction (although I was hoping they would be cheaper, but maybe I'm just dreaming).

muzz67, Jan 1, 2:48pm
reel mowers are usually plentiful at recycle centres(mitre11s!), may $$$5