Details in car ownership papers

khairul23, Apr 26, 11:17am
I just checked the details on my car ownership paper (if that's what you call the document we receive from Land Transport, after a purchase) and compared them to the plate under the hood. The Vin/chassis numbers match, but the engine number is slightly different. On the car (a 2001 2.4ltr petrol Toyota Previa) it states the engine number 2AZ-FE. But on the ownership paper, it states 2AZ!, the ! being numbers (I don't have the document in front of me now, hence the ! to substitute the digits) instead of -FE. Can anyone with a similar vehicle model check what their ownership papers state about the engine!

I need to confirm whether this is indeed an anomaly, which could give complication when my car reaches the customs in Malaysia.

franc123, Apr 26, 11:22am
Don't worry about it, 2AZ-FE is the MODEL of that particular engine, the last two letters meaning its a narrow angle valve configuration and fuel injected, if that means anything to you.The other digits on the registration papers after the 2AZ are the actual SERIAL number of the engine, which will be repeated on a stamping in the engine block somewhere.

khairul23, Apr 26, 10:28pm
If the engine was replaced, the numbers would differ then!

bitsy_boffin, Apr 26, 10:39pm
Why are you sending the car to Malaysia!

khairul23, Apr 26, 11:05pm
I'm moving there permenantly, and cars there are expensive.

r15, Apr 27, 1:10am
indeed they would.

crzyhrse, Apr 27, 1:34am
Probably because, like most Asian countries, there are hefty import duties. I expect you'll be subject to them as well making your 'cheap' car not so cheap.

crzyhrse, Apr 27, 1:42am
A few years out of date but I doubt much has changed.
http://malaysiacar.org/knowledge/importing-car/

phillip.weston, Apr 27, 3:25am
The engine number is what is stamped on the block, which would be 2AZ-948972 etc, but on the build plate the engine will be down as a 2AZ-FE as it denotes the type of engine rather than the actual serial number of the original engine. The engine number noted down on the registration papers should match what is on the engine block.

khairul23, Apr 27, 6:13am
Definitely a hassle and resulting the car to be no longer so cheap. However with all those, it'll still be much cheaper according to my calculation, and others who brought Previas to Malaysia from here.

khairul23, Apr 27, 6:15am
Mine do not match because I've replaced the engine with a full rebuilt one imported from the US.

crzyhrse, Apr 27, 6:47am
Looks like you've done your homework then - I was just mentioning it in case you hadn't. Do let us know how it all works out.

khairul23, Dec 19, 10:43pm
I've contacted a forwarding company in Malaysia who regularly deals with vehicle imports. They say there won't any problem with the unmatched engine numbers as long as I inform them of the new engine number beforehand. SO hoping everything goes well.