Nissan Vanette Diff mod or what?

philipt, Apr 25, 7:20pm
I have a 89 Vanette flat bed truck. Its got 5 speed box with LD20II motor. Its max speed is around 100km/h but I cruse at 80km/h to not put too much strain on the engine. Not sure on the diff and its ratio, but is it possible to change the diff and get say 10 or 20km/h more on the top end. Can the diff ratio be changed or do I look for complete diff from say a laurel or something that will fit!

intrade, Apr 25, 7:59pm
it would put your odometer out with larger diameter tyre if they fit you could gain 5 to 10kmh difference. remeber your engine needs to be able to take of in first gear as all gears will be higher when you change the ratios

philipt, Apr 25, 8:31pm
The gearbox is very low geared, I always pull away in 2nd. By the time I do 40 I'm in 5th already. The fact thatits a truck I think they took a standard Vanette chassis and either fitted a low range gearbox or diff. Diff is easier to change. My other question is can you fit a turbo to the LD20II and how does it differ form the LD20T. What about a Sunny or Bluebird diff! could it work! NZ need a Westcoast Customs so I can Pimp my ride!

ladatrouble, Apr 26, 4:43am
Try a Vanette van diff - I used to cruise my '89 Vanette at 120kph and there was plenty left.They must be a different ratio for the truck.

philipt, Apr 26, 8:27pm
Thanks guys - Just the info I needed!
Cheers

petermcg, Dec 17, 5:43pm
Hey if it is the model with the dual back wheels it is the same truck as mazda bongo,, there gearing is hopelessly out.