Nissan Pulsar 1995 - 1998 model

jock_in_nz, Jan 23, 9:47am
Looking at the 1.5 auto model as a cheap second hand car. Anything to watch out for on these! I know they run cam chains which is a plus but any weak points or things to start the alarm bells ringing! Cheers.

morrisman1, Jan 23, 9:53am
x1
Most common problem is the air flow meter crapping out. Costs a couple hundred to recondition but the fault is well documented. Hesitating and rough running are symptoms.

Niggly electric things, like heater only working on full (replace resistor block - 5 min job), rev counter playing up. Nothing serious.

Autos are a bit gutless in my opinion but will be economical and if the auto has been serviced then it should be just fine.

The timing chain is good for many hundred thousand kms but rattles can appear if the tensioner gets wear on it. Not normal under 200,000. Mine has 300,000 on it and only light wear on the tensioner. The front and rear main seals can leak, just like in any vehicle I guess but the front is a bit more common. Check under engine for any signs of oil leak around the front pulley or dripping out of the transmission bellhousing. Front seal is a 30 min job to replace, rear seal requires removal of transmission which is about 4 hours to remove and refit.

morrisman1, Jan 23, 9:54am
It would be one of the more reliable cars on the roads. Nothing inspiring to drive but handle reasonably well and economical. As with any vehicle a thorough pre-purchase check is highly recommended.

jock_in_nz, Jan 23, 10:45am
Thanks morrisman for the advice. I've heard of their reputation for reliability. Just need something cheap to get me around.

sheltie08, Jan 23, 10:51am
They are reliable but they can also be generally hard on brakes - so pads need regular attention. Mine was so good that i stuck with Nissan for my next car. BIG mistake! Since Renault took over in 2000 they have fiddled with the engines. Local Nissan repairer here is bemused why they have overcomplicated it Mine has already had $5000 in mechanical repairs (Head gasket, CVT transmission and alternator clutch belt)

spongefrisk, Jan 24, 12:05am
I have a 96 new NZ one.called a Sentra then. Auto, 275,000kms on the clock. Its a 1600cc. Just keeps going. As above have changed the fan resistor. Also the left front wheel bearing and just had the brake cylinders done. Cheap motoring really. I want to change it . probably out of boredom.but as a cheap car to get to work and back I find it hard to part with.

vtecintegra, Jan 24, 12:14am
Watch out for rust.

trdbzr, Jan 24, 12:33am
Very reliable and economical car. Like morrisman1 said, AFM tends to crap out and is a common problem, but nothing major and doesn't happen on every single one. Best to get a proper inspection done and just look for common sense stuff eg under oil filler cap, if oil dipstick has any 'burnt' marks on it, gearbox oil condition, cv joints, cv boot, under the carpet for rust etc etc

fordcrzy, Jan 24, 6:24am
just check the CV boots.they are pretty crappy. although they would probably have been replaced by now.they usually fail before 100,000.
rear shocks are pretty soft, so are a pretty easy target for a wof fail as they get really soft sooner than most cars

ceedoubleyou, Jan 24, 6:46am
other than the timing chains, everything else wears out like all other lil' eco boxes of the era, brakes, cv boots, rear shocks etc. I just sold daughters '97 Pulsar just before Xmas, I had to reduce price couple hundy because cv boots had split. cv joints just replaced 3 yrs previous before we bought it.

jock_in_nz, Jan 24, 7:50am
Cool guys. Thanks for plenty of info. They do seem to be well priced compared to a Corolla or Familia of the same vintage and there's quite a few for sale on here which is a bonus.

nikrs, Jan 24, 7:57am
i have a 97 sentra nz new manual, it has 370000k on the clock, and stil going. i have owned for 11 years and not really had any probs other then the odd wear and tear things. air flow meter played up here and there making it idol funny.but i just kept on driving it and stil have not had to have it replace. my wee girl got her 1st new clutch about 10mths ago.

focuson21, Jan 24, 8:08am
Nissans go and go - have them for driving school cars - and no real issues.

pearl4, Jan 24, 9:07am
Hey Jock, are you looking for one! Check out my listing, and yes this is blatant self-promotion.