Nissan Primera station wagon

lookin4ord, Jan 25, 7:34am
who has one! you like it!

trdbzr, Jan 25, 7:38am
Good reliable wagon. Avoid the ones with CVT. Use common sense when inspecting potential cars, otherwise take it to a good garage to get a pre purchase inspection, avoid AA and VTNZ.

lookin4ord, Jan 25, 7:40am
Whats CVT! not sure about the speedo in the middle!

brigette6, Jan 25, 7:44am
We have one and rate it. there is heaps of boot space for strollers etc. they drive well. we have a cvt one and havent had any problems with it. but i know that if we do it wont be cheap.

brigette6, Jan 25, 7:45am
What speedo in the middle! its in the normal spot in our car. a cvt is a transmission. it doesnt change gears, it works like a scooter does.

lookin4ord, Jan 25, 7:46am
CVT!

lookin4ord, Jan 25, 7:47am

brigette6, Jan 25, 7:48am

brigette6, Jan 25, 7:49am
If you keep up the services they are suppose to be pretty good. when the belt breaks its about 3-4k to get fixed.

ryanm2, Jan 25, 7:49am
we've had 2 with the CVT transmission - the latter one being a a hyper cvt 6 speed with the neo vvti engine. Went good, but the cvt started playing up so we got rid of it. Pretty much OP, if the cvt packs up, the car might be a write off / good for parts only.

lookin4ord, Jan 25, 7:52am

edangus, Jan 25, 7:58am
Had a 97 with the Neo engine and M6 CVT. Fantastic car to drive, but sadly the CVT went on it.
Full oil change (7ltrs) on the CVT every 20,000km and that did not help.
Replaced box for 7K.
Also wore the outer joints out every 50,000km (But I drove her hard all over the country).
Beautiful engine, well balanced car, horrible blimmin box.

trdbzr, Jan 25, 8:06am
CVT is a type of gearbox. Avoid it in general because if it does play up, it will be an expensive repair. Go for a standard 'automatic'. Judging by your posts it seems like you aren't very car savvy so I would very highly recommend getting a pre purchase inspection on any car you plan on buying. As I said before, avoid going to either AA or VTNZ for it.

jason18, Jan 25, 8:21am
oil should be changed every 60kms according to Nissan

jason18, Jan 25, 8:21am
CVT.co.nz Every bloody car will have one sooner or later

trdbzr, Jan 25, 8:27am
Yes every car will have it eventually but the early ones are prone to problems. Yeah its recommended to get them replaced around every 50-60K and the proper oil that is meant to be used in it is pretty expensive. Most people wouldn't know the service interval and wouldn't get it done and some of the ones that would get it done are likely to have just chucked in dexron.

edangus, Jan 25, 8:33am
Perhaps.at the time I went off the Perrys info and recommendations. Bought it off them, they serviced it. this was 00 - 03. That friggin oil was not cheap!

panicky, Jan 25, 8:39am
Reliable!The QG18 is a piece of crap engine full stop.And the QR20 and 25 are the absolutely appalling to do anything slightly major on such as a head gasket

edangus, Jan 25, 8:48am
Well mine had the SR20VE, Jack schmidt wrong with that puppy.

lookin4ord, Jan 25, 8:50am
can you qualify that statement!

jason18, Jan 25, 8:56am
The Qg18 is junk. I was also told to avoid the QR25 from a nissan tech due to injectors failing.

trdbzr, Jan 25, 9:00am
Renault and reliability don't go together.

wizid, Jan 26, 2:26am
you are right jason . you cant tell poeple about cvts . myself i think thay are the best gearbox around . as long as thay are service regulary and the rite oils is put in them .the 2 i have owned went very well and were cheaper to run than a manual or auto. i wish my skyline had 1 in it .