I'm importing a car from Japan. any advise?

murdoko, Apr 7, 12:51am
I'm importing a year 2000 JZX110 Toyota Mark II IR-V (Turbo 1jzgte). Just want to point out that I've done my research and just wanna ask for opinions from a different perspective (Buyers/Importers). I rang the Jappas up and they told me that the emission code for this car is GH. Rang the compliance centre and they advised that this will pass. Also, the car has aftermarket underbody parts and exhaust. Can you guyz foresee any troubles getting this car in! also, what are your suggestions. TIA - Tristan

murdoko, Apr 7, 1:05am
yeah cheers for that! damn good cars, there should be more on NZ roads! I've been sniffing out the whole x-chassis for years. I've heard the emission laws will change on January so this year would be the last to import them (JZX110s). hence, the move. Last thing I wanna do is import a $14k piece of metal that can't be used here in NZ. haha

chargerchick, Apr 7, 1:32am
take ya pie with ya then you can nuk it on the way to work. sorry just couldn't resist,hehe

kimbo88, Apr 7, 2:13am
There's no problems with that model at all at the moment Tristan - yes they are GH in the IRV and that is still OK at the moment.It will just have to go through normal compliance when it arrives here.It's a crying shame that we don't have much more time to bring them in still - it will be the end of an era.

ct9a, Apr 7, 2:22am
nice do post pics up!

murdoko, Apr 7, 2:38am
Thanks Kim for the confirmation! yeah i reckon you guys should import a few before the emission laws change. Will definitely post pics when the deals successful. It looks mean! :)

kimbo88, Apr 7, 2:57am
Yeah I'm thinking quite seriously of getting a nice one for myself too before the cutoff point.I've got a JZX100 version in the Chaser Tourer V and quite keen to look at a 110 while it can still be done.They are fantastic cars.Look forward to seeing your pics later on!

murdoko, Apr 7, 3:02am
oh yeah, i've uploaded some of the pics on facebook. check out the 'JZX NZ' page. ;)

murdoko, Apr 7, 3:06am
yeah i sold my Chaser tourer V a couple days ago. I looked at a few JZX110s here in Auckland. They're no different performance-wise but everything else is just better: interior, quality, etc etc. that's why im so hyped up about importing one. If you're lucky, just like one guy this year, he bought a Yamaha-powered Fortuna for less than $9.5k with less than 70kms on the clock. I don't think the guyz in NZ though. haha

ct9a, Apr 7, 5:17am
pretty sweet lil group

rustihammer, Apr 7, 5:33am
Go over it with a geiger counter.

murdoko, Apr 7, 6:53am
thanks Kaz, I'll keep that in mind. heard you import heaps so dont steal my IRV this thursday. ;)

murdoko, Apr 9, 1:15am
Just wanna update you guyz! I won the auction. It's a black IR-V that seems tohave been built as a sleeper. Its got stock 17s, stock aero parts but underneath is sup'd up with aftermarket 'underbody stuff' and exhaust!. looks like its on coilovers or at least lowered with lowering springs coz of the ride height. coz why would you put aftermarket braces if its not lowered! but we'll see! sooo excited!

zirconium, Apr 9, 8:39am
Hope those are tears of happiness! Good luck, approx how long until you get the key in your hand!

fordcrzy, Apr 9, 9:06am
when it goes for compliance get a place that will do the LVVT cert for the suspension and exhaust at the same time

murdoko, Apr 9, 11:37am
yep will do! thanks for the tip.

they said its gonna take 3-4 weeks once the payment clears. woohoo CANT WAIT

fordcrzy, Apr 9, 11:47am
you may have to book in advance for the LVVT cert.theres usually a waiting list to get them looked at,, i think i had to wait 3-4 weeks for mine from memory.

Oh and you can't get a warrant until the actual metal plate is attatched to the car which takes about 10-20 days to arrive once the inspection is done too.
you are going to be gagging to drive that thing by the time it's ready for the road.

ginga4lyfe, Oct 13, 6:19pm