Go kart sprockets & clutch

whynot7, Apr 8, 9:46am
i bought my son(7)a go kartit has a 190cc 4 stroke(honda copy ) motor
and centrifugal clutch.10 tclutch and 56 tooth drive with38 cm diawheels.
in theory it has a top speed of approx 48 kmph at 3500rpm, i would like to gear it down so it has a lower top speed butbetter take off. i amlimited to tyre size and sprocket size due to ground clearance. SO my questionis . what would happen if i put a 2.1 reduction gearbox on it. ! i also have a smaller 38 tooth sprocket. part 2 question . what would happen if i used 2.1 and 38 tooth cog.! thanks.

NZTools, Apr 8, 7:20pm
going from a 56t to a 38t sproket will increase yuor top speed quite dramaticly, and accelleration will suck.
If you have room for a reduction box, it may be your best option., or using and extra set of sprockets and chain to reduce the final drive ratio

muzz67, Apr 8, 7:22pm
You need a smaller front sprocket, but I doubt ther'd be anything smaller than a 10.

kandjaja, Apr 8, 10:28pm
Hes on the money, I have the same problem, 10T is the smallest on a cent. clutch.

whynot7, Apr 9, 12:57am
yes it looks as if 10 is the smallest drive cog. maybe a jack shaft is the go to change ratios.as mr tools suggests. with a 10 drive and 38 tooth it has a top speed of approx 90ks but has trubble takin of with me in it. .
http://www.buildyourowngokart.com/oneperson/SpeedCalculator.php. handy if ya nee to work ratios out one day

olymp, Apr 9, 9:30am
Have you given any thought to just winding the throttle stop out to reduce the top speed, When more confident just start to wind it back in.olymp

muzz67, Oct 14, 6:57am
restricting throttle travel still allows almost full top speed but slows acceleration. Learnt that on th lads pw50.