Purchasing a De-Reg Car

unbeatabull, Apr 7, 7:07am
Hey Guys,

Im buying a car thats been De-reg tomorrow, and normally it wouldn't be a problem as previous De reg cars Ive bought have been for parts, but as I plan on getting this car back on the road, what do I need to do as far as getting ownership changed!

Do I need to fill out Change of Ownership papers etc, or do I just need a proof of purchase! The car still has plates on it just the reg has lapsed on it a few years ago.

Cheers

franc123, Apr 7, 7:25am
If it has lapsed it is already deregistered, since this has happened the normal ownership change through NZTA isn't needed, or possible for that matter.Get the current rego certificate that the seller has, plates and a bill of sale from them and both sign it, you are going to need these things when it needs VIN and registration again.

unbeatabull, Apr 7, 7:34am
They have plates and I can get the bill of sale easy enough, but Im not too sure if they still have a Rego certificate. The owners are an old couple who havebeen overseas for the last 6 years and just moved back and had the car in storage. Does just the rego slip in the windscreen enough or do I need more then that!

And if I have the old plates etc the VIN would still be in the system wouldn't it! So will just need a Cert/Complaince check done then WOF/Rego, or have I got the process wrong!

Cheers

franc123, Oct 8, 10:07am
Yes the old licence label will be OK, the point being that you have proof that it is yours and that it has been registered in NZ before.