Selling car at $1 reserve

NZTools, Apr 5, 2:52am
It works well on a car that is desirable, and will gerneate lots of i nterest on an auction.
IIf it is presented well, with lots of clear photos and a good description, it will sell for its market price

if it is a baige camry, grey primera or simialr type of boringly plain vehicle, put a reserve on it.

phillip.weston, Apr 5, 4:25am
I think the key is to take decent photos and market it positively while being as close to 100% accurate as possible.

Even boring beige Camrys or gunmetal grey Primeras will do well on $1res auctions - at this point of time there are plenty people looking for cheap to run and reliable (second) cars.

What is the car in question and what are your price expectations for it!

phillip.weston, Apr 5, 4:27am
Never mind I just saw the Magna you have listed. Of all the cars to $1res that probably wouldn't be the best example to do so, for many reasons including:

1) it's a Mitsubishi
2) it's a Mitsubishi which doesn't have a good name for itself
3) it's a Mitsubishi which doesn't have a good name for itself, of which has done high milage, further instilling fears of unreliability.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 5, 6:10am
Adding dancing girls to the picture may help also.

pollymay, Apr 5, 6:13am
His best bet is gluing on toyota badges. I saw a Mitsubishi windom on here not to long ago lol.

carstauranga001, Apr 5, 7:11am
I have good results with $1 reserve auctions although I do have a realistic expectation of their worth.

As stated above your pic's arn't good. Without meaning to blow my own trumpet check out my current listing for photo ideas.

phillip.weston, Apr 5, 8:40am
I would give the paint a buff and perhaps not zoom in on that dent on the front guard - you can easily see it from the other shots anyhow. Clean up that dirt which is trapped under the bonnet protector also.

ladyjet1, Apr 5, 9:19am
I just bought one @ $1 reserve!I'm very happy, considering it had over 2000 views (a classic mini!)

sw20, Apr 5, 9:55am
I'm tempted to put my Clio 172 up $1 reserve in a few months when I've found something else.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 5, 10:36am
i've seen it been done many times by mates
just remember that a $1 reserve is simply to move the car on quickly
you will get a lot more attention (watchers and viewers) but doesnt mean the price will go high.
and if you do do it then dont get excited when the price goes quickly from $1 to $2000 in a day, it could only sell for $2000 a week later.
as long as your not desperate for the money you would do it, but i doubt you will get a higher price than what you are hoping for. you'll just sell it faster.

oh and just looked at the magna, you will be lucky to get $1000. most people are down sizing their cars these days. take some more exterior pics too if your gonna $1 it

_peas, Apr 5, 6:45pm
Sold a Caldina GT like this.Got $200 less than what I paid for it 2 years previous.People like to see that the car is actually for sale rather than some dreamer price.It always helps if it has a fresh WOF as well just to set minds at ease about the mechanical condition of it.In the end just be honest about it, answer questions as fast as you can (you'll come across as someone with nothing to hide) and be realistic about what you expect to get.

tigra, Apr 5, 9:39pm
For really shabby pics check this one # 366629282. Didnt sell first time around but got to $750 (Res is $1000) .Heck deal sounds so full of pitfalls I wouldnt go over the start bid.

mr_lovebug, Apr 5, 10:01pm
Just had a look at the O/P car ad,it needs better outside photos.

Personally all the inside photos NOT needed,one or two is all you need UNLESS you are asked for more inside pics.

The outside is what people will want to see,also when was the cam belt done & is there any panel damage (one pic with a dent is NOT GOOD)what else is hiding in the photos that you are NOT saying in the auction.

Auction should be talking the car up,NOT saying how many people & what sizers that they are,I would be asking many more questions,how often was it taken for a long run,how often was the oil changed & WHO was doing it!

Thecar looks to stock standard sound system (lowers the vaule) does it pick up all the radio stations & on the right numbers!I am hard when come to car & I want all the info before I will even show that I am keen.

This is my personal thoughts but I know other people that are like myself.

phillip.weston, Apr 6, 2:45am
the major downside to $1res auctions if you will get dreamers who will offer you a few hundred more than the current bid, especially when the current bid is around half of its top expected bid. There are some idiots who just don't understand the concept of an auction.

kcf, Apr 6, 2:50am
tried it once on a car, and ended up that the top bidder couldn't get insurance so didn't buy the car.But that can happen in any auction.

The dreamer / idiots who offer you stupid amounts happen in every auction anyway.So you just tell them to get stuffed when they do.

I only ever $1 reserve stuff like furniture, or stuff that basically I just want the hell out of my house, because somebody paying me $1 is easier than me having to take stuff to the tip.I'm too much of a coward to risk $1 reserve on a car :-)

phillip.weston, Oct 4, 6:55pm
as long as the car is truly worth some kind of money, you generally always get good results out of a $1res auction. I find it buys a whole lot of publicity, a car can sit there for weeks with 100-200 views and a handful of watchers, but on $1res you can get 1000-2000 views with 100-200 watchers and the top bidders generally have been bidding at 50% of its value thinking they are going to get the deal of a lifetime, but yet are competing with another bidding thinking the same, and eventually as each bidder is emotionally attached they keep bidding higher and higher until one of them finally backs out. The last 10 mins of an auction is always interesting.