What do I do with a dead car in Tirau?

nigelt74, Mar 28, 10:42am
Car dropped dead, diesel engine fuel pump stuffed and a few bits on the way out, mechanic says will cost more to fix than its worth, mechanically minded friends agree.
Astra like the one in auction #358157983 except diesel.
The bodys fine has a current warrant, are there any car demo yards in the area that pick up or should i try flogging it on trademe.
also can i claim back unused "Road User charges"

intrade, Mar 28, 10:53am
you get back ruc when you derego it. this will make it scrap metal value only most scrap dealer will pick up free or pay 50 to 150$ for full car without wheels
you do need to run chemtech diesel additive to prevent pump damage on diesel more often the diesel stop due to seal shrinkage any air will stop a diesel

mr_lovebug, Mar 28, 10:55am
Hey Nigel,why not get another motor!Or you have anoher car already!

Have you left Invercargill for good now!

mr_lovebug, Mar 28, 10:57am
I would look at the cost of converting it to a petrol engine,not that hard to do,both front wheel drive.Just change the motor & gearbox/trans etc.

clark20, Mar 28, 10:58am
$1 auction

intrade, Mar 28, 11:01am
your a dreamer lol not to mention that it will burn up once it is converted as all fuel lines are not made for petrol. naigbour has had a burned out mazda freshly converted and certified and puff on the way home it went up in smoke.the crusher is his best option or for somone parts.

mr_lovebug, Mar 28, 11:08am
I thought that people often did the covertsion over,maybe it was petrol of to Diesal!

I am only putting ideas out there for people to either say good or bad idea.

intrade, Mar 28, 11:12am
na the cost are prohibiting, read his post his engine seems ok its his fuelpump and a few other bits and its a white car it will have loads of hidden rust also. holden astra are a pile of crap at best of times.

mr_lovebug, Mar 28, 11:17am
Yeah, okay point taken.

I also think I know the OP personally too.

If he is the trader that I know,he won't know much about cars at all. He knows his computers well,he is also able to talk & work in Binarey (sp) {0's & 1's}without batting a eyelid.

It's time to get the car towed to wreckers yard & remove the reg plates & RUC & hand them in for a refund.

franc123, Mar 28, 11:19am
dereg and get the roadusers back and off to the scrappie, not worth doing anything else.It's lasted five years longer than what Opel intended it to.

mr_lovebug, Mar 28, 11:22am
Yep,thats what I think too.

After thinking I know the person & how they had a old early 80's ford laser,with the beded drivers car seat.

phillip.weston, Mar 28, 7:11pm
it's powered by an isuzu diesel engine, I'm sure you would be able to pick up another from a Vectra or Gemini etc.

nigelt74, Mar 28, 10:21pm
@mr Love bug The seats in the Ford were a safety feature, they collapsed everytime the car accelerated, so you had to drive like a granny

The Astra is in good nick bodywise, as i have my wife and kids in it, i am not a mechanical person, my mechanical knowledge ends at turning the key in the ignition (and even then i forget which way to turn it still), it has been a reliable workhorse, but fuel pumps are a small fortune.

Wifey rang a wreckers who said its worth a couple of hundred at most, cost of getting it towed to wreckers will probably cost about that anyway.

On a completely different note, how hard is it pull a stereo out of the car, as we got a cheapie warehouse stereo put in that plays mp3s, (and all the cars in our price range have stock stereos)

nigelt74, Mar 28, 10:29pm
Anyone know what model the engine would be, and are fuel pumps part of the engine, as i have seen a few engines on here but no fuel pumps, and i think the engines a turbo diesel

1996 Holden Astra 1.7L GL Diesel
Engine Capacity:
1,686cc (1.7 litre)
Fuel Type:
Diesel

phillip.weston, Mar 28, 10:42pm
I'm pretty sure it's a 4EE2 engine.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 28, 11:43pm
With fuel being expensive someone may be happy to buy it on trademe "as is" and fix it up. You may be surprised what you get for it.

mr_lovebug, Mar 29, 12:05am
Nigel,you have seen me pull & refit the sound system out of my old Toyota.

Thats a hint,I am happy to help with car audio.

321mat, Mar 29, 1:10am
I suggest you run like h*ll, as Tirau, like those other bustlng metropolis's of Drury and especially Mercer, are not what you'd call "safe" after nightfall.

Something about the rise of the undead.
If you're intending to stay put, I hope you know some small unit combat skills.

mr_lovebug, Mar 29, 6:12am
He should be okay,he plays 1st person shooter games. He he.

nigelt74, Mar 29, 8:32pm
not anymore I just play the Wiggles

joanie32, Mar 29, 9:05pm
the local wrecker is a good guy. He will give you exactly what its worth.

nigelt74, Sep 23, 3:15am
What do you reckon it would cost to get the car taken from Tirau and dropped off in Putaruru.