Ratchet tie downs - Ratings for tying a car down.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 30, 10:33pm
Looking at tie downs. Not sure what sort of Lash ratings I should be looking for. Currently tossing up buying 32mm with 500kgs lashing. Or spend the extra cash and get 50mm with 1200kg lashing.

Problem is the 50mm tie downs are 9 metres long. I dont need ones that long. 3-4metres would be plenty.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 30, 10:37pm
Yeah was thinking I could cut them down and melt them.

The 50mm ones are actually rated 2500kgs but I dont know if thats working load or breaking point. So halved it and said its working load. They are used for truckies and their loads.

mrfxit, Mar 30, 10:49pm
Go heavy for cars, NEVER EVER regretted getting the bigger strops.
yes you CAN get shorter strops, ASK .

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 30, 11:00pm
yeah might just get 4 x what i showed in that auction. That'll do it.

unclejake, Mar 30, 11:00pm
Agree. Go the heavy ones and buy them from an actual shop where you can touch them to see if they are crap. I will never buy tie-down via. TradeMe again as the last lot I had to throw away the first day

The decent heavy ones will also last longer.

johnf_456, Mar 30, 11:02pm
Overkill pays to be safe than sorry.

boss_hogg, Mar 31, 3:09am
Hi there, you need to have double the rated restraint of whatever you're restaining. Hope that makes sense.

This also includes where you attach the end of your tie down or chain. So if you use a 2500kg strop hooked onto a rope rail rated to hold 500kg then you actually only have 500kg's worth of restraint.

There're a few variables like whether your load is against a head board or not but if you stick to the double the restraint you'll be fine with the fuzz.

I hope that made sense and helps

glenleigh, Mar 31, 3:10am
Buy made to measure from tiedown manufacturer in Rotorua

mrfxit, Mar 31, 3:52am
Another good reason for going bigger is the "real world" difference between .

Load rating & impact rating
OR
Weight verses speed & weight

ola_bitchola1, Mar 31, 3:58am
we allways used 2000 or 2500kg tie downs the really thick trucking ones on the race cars ive been involved with

tnt423, Mar 31, 4:01am
Cookes do them for $20 each, they have a few different sizes to.

boss_hogg, Mar 31, 4:03am
yeah, what they said^^

legally you need to have equal to 1G restraint in every directions except forwards where you need 2G's

Just go as big as you can.

lookoutas, Mar 31, 4:32am
Exactly what I've done.
And you can sew loops on the off-cut ends for tow ropes. I even have some loops sewn onto one end of an off-cut for looping around a diff etc, to avoid steel on steel. It needs to be done properly tho - I copied the loop off a purpose made tow-rope.

richardmayes, Mar 31, 5:09am
Go large.

The bigger they are, the less give they have, and the less stuff moves around.

mk3zephyr, Mar 31, 5:16am
I use 2500kg ones for strapping down the Stockcar and Saloon car, never had one let loose on me yet, like the poster above says Cookes has them for a fair price

clark20, Mar 31, 5:38am
Go to TWL

www.twlnz.co.nz

im_andrew, Mar 31, 7:48am
The 2500kg ones are only like $25 each from TWL, so why not!

pieman33h, Mar 31, 8:18am
couple of short lengths of 4 ton chain, with plastic hose for protection, and a couple of twitches, get the ratchet ones, use them for ONLY tieing car down, never have a problem ever again!

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 31, 8:23am
I cant find pricings for cookes or TWL. I do see theres a cookes in napier so might just drop in tomorrow anyway

mrfxit, Mar 31, 8:29am
Brought 2 new sets about 4 years ago because my other strops were getting a little frayed . still in the wrapping.

big.b-lil.c, Apr 1, 12:43am
cooks wire and cable in south auckland can make them any length you like. they can also weave your name into them. ps twl buy them from cooks. if you are a cheeky burger ring cooks and tell them you work for toll or mainfreight and ask them for a trade discount on a cash sale.

skyline_guy_r34, Sep 19, 6:01pm
All good guys went to cookes yesterday and got 4 x 50mm/2500kg/9.5m for $92 all up ($80+$12gst)

Very happy