Anyone had a car directly imported before?

chanelle, Mar 28, 9:29am
Via a dealer to semi cut out the middle man.
I have the option to do this but just wondering if anyone has done this. what are the cons. Pros seem pretty good. ie not the few k mark up for it then to be put on the yard.

any help is appreciated.
im wanting a mazda 3 2002 model or up and have been told i can get one imported for under 10k.
seems too good to be true

chanelle, Mar 28, 10:05am
anyone.!. just a bit nervous as dont want a mechanical nightmare.

intrade, Mar 28, 10:18am
probably to riski unlessyou spend plenty time researching. the whole process as emission law does apply to imported cars in caseyou did not know , a fail= you imported scrap metal never to be used on nz roads.
having said this its not impossibile. . loads more frontal impact and and.

chanelle, Mar 28, 12:03pm
im not quite sure what you mean intrade. and franc your message was deleated before i got to read it.
car iwould be imported using a service that takes care of all the foreign exchange, importation, customs, and compliance once the vehicle has arrived in New Zealand.

stevo2, Mar 28, 5:01pm
Mazda3 (axela) was produced 04 onwards. Make sure you dont get the 1500cc model.
You will be using the dealer to import it so he will be bringing it in to order. You may have to pay a sizable deposit upfront.
Cheers Stevo

kimbo88, Mar 28, 7:11pm
As someone who regularly imports, I would have to say make sure that you know what you are getting.Having looked through recent sold for prices in Japan, one for the sort of money that you are talking about would have to be a very low grade and/or high kms.The good ones are not normally available for that price.Also, as Stevo says, forget the 1500, get either a 2 litre or the 2.3.

ct9a, Mar 28, 7:22pm
give Summit motors in Te Aroha a ring,they will go threw the whole process with you step by step even including the bidding in japan via net conference with agent

tigra, Mar 28, 7:55pm
chanelle, Just been looking at it myself and the way the NZ$ has dropped against the Yen makes it all a bit doubtful. Why not check out what Turners have for sale. they have a lot of imports going through theirSeaview auction and if you are patient you can get a good buy.

kimbo88, Mar 28, 9:12pm
HI Kaz, I know what you're saying but a look through the most recent sales of Friday and Saturday reveals that most grade 4's or better are achieving around the 340 Raw auction price and that is for 1500s.Add on the comm of 70 plus the rest, and then if someone wants a K or so out of it, it's going to be over 10K landed, and plus a bit more on the road.I know there is the odd lucky buy, but for instance a 2 litre done 99 kms, grade 4, went out at a raw of 390.So on that one as an example, even with no profit at all in it it's up over 10K landed.

kimbo88, Mar 28, 9:35pm
Yep it's going to be another race against the calendar again like last time, and no doubt we'll end up in the same situation we were last time, with the market saturated again for a while.It's going to be a big leap again to the next emissions level.

chanelle, Mar 28, 11:38pm
the mazdas seem to be holding their value tho.
im after a mazda axlea . needs to be at least a 2002 modle. but as close to 10 k as possible. im saying 12 k at a streatch .
thats why i was thinking of importing as cutting out the 5 or so k the dealers pop ontop.

kimbo88, Mar 29, 1:25am
The other thing to note too Chanelle, is that you were mentioning 2002, but as Stevo said earlier the Axela didn't come out until 2004.Good examples are fetching good money in Japan, particularly in the 2 litre and 2.3's.The Atenza though (Mazda 6 here) did come out in 2002 and there may be some cheaper examples in them than the Axela.I am saying that without having done the research, it's a while since I've looked up Atenza prices.But they did come out in 02 and are available in both the 2 litre and 2.3 litre if that helps.