Lost car key

shannonjamie, Mar 21, 1:15am
My son has played hide and seek with the car key and im going to have to get a new one cut.I was wondering if anyone can tell me how i go aboutit.Or if it can be a quick process.Im assuming everything will be closed today so havnt rung around.But im sure years ago someone said there was a code or something around the ignition somewhere that identifies keys!Then you can usually get a key cut based around that or something!Save having to completely remove the ignition or replace it im hoping.

Can anyone tell me if im on the right track and how to go about replacing the key please.Im desperate and hoping to have it done ASAP as im meant to be at a funeral tomorrow and dont want to miss it so trying to get as much organised today as i can.Any help would be much appreciated

jmma, Mar 21, 1:19am
Take door lock out, easier

shannonjamie, Mar 21, 1:22am
Will the code be on one of the door locks!Will it be easy to put it back or should i get someone to do that

shannonjamie, Mar 21, 1:25am
Haha, yeah i think thats what got me in this trouble.He has his own but think he must have lost those somewhere and grabbed mine.When i told him to go get me the key he came back with his then looked all confused

jmma, Mar 21, 4:30am
He said another word, Key!

lookoutas, Mar 21, 5:10am
Well give him the keys back, and watch where he goes.
Removing a door lock is the quickest and easiest option on most cars, then a locksmith can make a key to fit it. But some even have a number on the outside of the ignition barrel. that's why it might be a good idea to post make & model of car!

shannonjamie, Mar 21, 9:17am
Mitsubishi legnum! We did chase him around the place with keys in hand for a couple of hrs to no avail.We took the panel off the door and on the inside of the door handle are a few #'s would those help or does the whole door handle need to come out because it's all one unit

cute_1, Mar 21, 11:44am
Go to your local Mitsi dealer, they may have the key number on their computer system. Its worth a try anyway.

shannonjamie, Mar 22, 10:40am
Just wanted to pop back in here and thank everyone for their help over the weekend.The code on the lock worked and .wait for it.It only cost me $35! Absolutely stoked so again thankyou everyone for your ideas.I was expecting it to possibly cost upto $200 if i had to get someone out. O and i think the missing key is gone forever LOL and no more leaving them on the table

bmwnz, Aug 14, 4:07pm
Don't forget to get a spare.