Ford Laser KB. what is the safe RPMs ?

fungles, Jan 31, 8:30am
It seems very rev happy, 1300cc E3 Mazda engine. Does anyone know the safe maximum please!

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 8:40am
6000rpm, although, for such an old car, I wouldn't push it past 4500. They were a much better car than most people realised.

franc123, Jan 31, 8:40am
probably about 5500 depending on how knackered the thing is, especially the timing chain and oil pump chain. most of those are too old and tired to be thrashing the tits off these days, I wouldnt be over doing it.

morrisman1, Jan 31, 8:41am
just before it goes bang.

fungles, Jan 31, 8:47am
Thanks. Its a very quiet motor, low miles. was wondering was all.

clark20, Jan 31, 8:47am
6000 should be fine, use to take my laser sport to 7500.

morrisman1, Jan 31, 8:55am
I suspect that the carby flow restriction and old valve springs will keep you safe.

fordcrzy, Jan 31, 9:13am
do those things even have a rev counter!

johnf_456, Jan 31, 9:15am
Only some do fordcrzy, the imported ones generally did where as the new ones are basic. They are fantastic cars and get a lot of people by surprise on how reliable they were back in the day.

fungles, Jan 31, 9:20am
Its me. I never get used to high revving engines that all modern types are. Im told not to labour them, thats bad. This is my new car and Im just getting used to it. I got it cause its simple, runs very well, and doesnt have a computer/airbags/ABS and all that other stupid stuff. . meaning I can fix it. It replaces my 1947 Vanguard, thats gotten too hard to get parts for now.

richardmayes, Jan 31, 7:36pm
Max power is at 5750 rpm, so I guess don't take it too far past that!

But seriously, go nuts with it. They are beautiful little engines in those and they love to rev. Don't be shy about chopping down to 3rd & 2nd around town whenever you need the power!

[I was brought up on six cylinder Triumphs, so I instinctively think revving engines is punishing them too. But my Lady's KE 1.3 Laser is so happy whizzing up to any mad-sounding revs, that after a while you can't help yourself and you find yourself changing down at every opportunity! They are like a modern DOHC engine in their power delivery, it's all way up high.]

[Just be careful that your cooling is good, because you can cook one of these engines a lot easier than you would your Vauguard motor.]

richardmayes, Jan 31, 7:36pm
Max power is at 5750 rpm, so I guess don't take it too far past that!

But seriously, go nuts with it. They are beautiful little engines in those and they love to rev. Don't be shy about chopping down to 3rd & 2nd around town whenever you need the power!

[I was brought up on six cylinder Triumphs, so I instinctively think revving engines is punishing them too. But my Lady's KE 1.3 Laser is so happy whizzing up to any mad-sounding revs, that after a while you can't help yourself and you find yourself changing down at every opportunity! They are like a modern DOHC engine in their power delivery, it's all way up the top end but there's ample breathing to get up there and use it.]

[Just be careful that your cooling is good, because you can cook one of these engines a lot easier than you would your Vauguard motor.]

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 11:12pm
Guess who's going to be better off in an accident, you or the guy driving a car with all the "stupid stuff"!

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 11:14pm
Oh, hello. Welcome to 21st Century. If you think a KB Laser has a high revving engine, try some new Toyotas and Hondas.

un_known, Jan 31, 11:32pm
a 47 vanguard is infinitely cooler than any honda or toyota.

richardmayes, Feb 1, 12:20am
A 26yo car from 1986 has fewer safety features, but you know they all work.

Is the 18yo airbag actuator on a 1994 car really going to wake up and fire the airbag in a few milliseconds, like it would have when it was new!

I hope so.

mugenb20b, Feb 1, 6:45am
Each to their own. Personally, I like French diesels.

fungles, Feb 1, 7:35am
Stupid stuff! Yes, maybe not, but I cant help wondering. if I had to pay for airbags/ABS/seatbelts/side intrusion bars for my Vanguard, I wouldnt have gotten very good value for money as I have never needed these. I also wonder why we still have a road toll if these things really work. Surely since 1947 the road deaths should have rapidly decreased! If cars are safer, roads are safer, are drivers getting worse! Do they rely too much on computerised gizmos perhaps! Just wondering was all.Yes, been driving since 1964, accident free record. touch wood.

mugenb20b, Feb 1, 7:42am
Well, not exactly. The population is higher than in 1947, there's more cars per capita and cars are much faster nowdays, maybe a few other factors too.