Can anyone help with Ford Fairmont problems?

Page 1 / 2
kslatt, Feb 3, 7:11am
The car was going fine, being used daily. One day parked it up for the night, next day just would not start. Dash lights come on, radio goes, everything seems fine until I turn the key to start it, the brake fail light comes on the dash and she wont even turn over. Was previously told it was the battery, but have charged it and even tried to jump start it, same thing happens. Any ideas!

unbeatabull, Feb 3, 7:12am
What year . if its BA onwards it probably has a Calcium Battery in it which some cheap chargers won't charge.

When you turn the key does it make a clicking sound!

kslatt, Feb 3, 7:16am
its a 1993.yep it clicks and the brake fail light flashes on, when I let the key off the light goes off

jason18, Feb 3, 7:20am
Take to sparky. Run multi metre over it if buggered get new battery

kslatt, Feb 3, 7:21am
we tried a new battery in it, didnt make any difference, still doing the same thing

pup2, Feb 3, 7:29am
poss the starter is having "issues". Check to make sure all connections are good, tight and clean before heading into your local auto sparky

taipan4, Feb 3, 7:30am
check connections to solenoid & starter motor also check for build up of corrosion on inside of battery terminals as this can mean high resistance
joints. If possible using a multimeter, check voltage at starter motor when someone else turns the key, & if you get less than about 11.5 v then theres a high resistance joint somewhere

kslatt, Feb 3, 7:33am
thats great thanks! but I have another questions lol.i cant even find the starter motor.can you give me idea where it will be!

jmma, Feb 3, 7:38am
Oh dear, take it to a sparky!

kslatt, Feb 3, 7:43am
haha I know I am terrible.I have a fair idea where it is but was hoping someone would tell me as well just so I can make sure

kslatt, Feb 3, 7:43am
plus its kinda hard to take it to a sparky when it doenst go lol

steve312, Feb 3, 7:46am
Starter is on the rear of the engine on the passengers side of the car.Have a look under the inlet manifold and there it is:o)

jmma, Feb 3, 7:49am
Is it manual of auto, how long have you had the car!

kslatt, Feb 3, 7:52am
its auto and we have had it for a very long long time lol maybe more than 15 years

kslatt, Feb 3, 7:52am
thanks steve312, thats a great help

jmma, Feb 3, 7:57am
Maybe inhibitor switch (don't ask me where that is(o: ) playing up, have you tried starting in neutral or wiggling the gear shift around!

skull, Feb 3, 7:59am
Sometimes giving the starter nmotor a solid whack on the outside (not to cause damage) will get it working again. If it does go straight to Auto Electrician and get it fixed.

bentcoupe, Feb 3, 9:20am
mine wont start when hot

jenny188, Feb 3, 10:14am
Had friend who had mid 80's Fairmount. he backed it down boat ramp and switched it off. It never went again. Towed it and boat up to the top of ramp and it was transported away and we took the boat home. Computer fault never to run again. New ecu unit.

robotix1970, Feb 3, 12:19pm
when you take it to the auto sparky, ask them to also check the igition module / hall effect plate in the dizzy . Ohh year as for the inhibitor switch goes., it's located on the side of the auto transmission with about 5 wires coming off it where the selector linkage is. (under the car) but good luck with it all the same. (i love the nice photo of the wee kitten)

barbuzz, Feb 3, 11:27pm
Put it in "park" & rock car back & forth a bit. Then try to start it.

jash3, Feb 4, 1:17am
Starter could be jammed!

elect70, Feb 4, 2:26am
x1
Check rear bush in starter motor . If worn, armaturecontacts the pole pieces & it will draw600amps + Hapened on my coon

fordzfly, Feb 4, 4:21am
is it a e series with smartlock! if ef/el try hitting the dash justto the left of the dash cluster/above stereo.

bob1088, Feb 4, 5:09am
It`s probably a bad earth problem - had the same on Fords - check and clean all earth contacts - maybe wrong but an auto elec can sort it.cheers.