Buying a car privately

helen_nz2, Feb 1, 7:45pm
wondered those that have had the experience what they have found works best. I am a bit reluctant to hand over a big wad of cash without the proper checks.
So far I have a VIR report and found that there is no securities against the car, that it's not stolen but I've not sighted any ownership papers.
My other question is should the change of ownership papers be done before or after the handing over of the car!

ralphdog1, Feb 1, 7:49pm
Have you had someone you trust do a mechanical inspection or do you know enough to do that yourself!
Change of registered owner should be done BEFORE the handing over.

gusthe1, Feb 1, 7:51pm
ownership papers are a thing of the past. You know its not stolen and has no securities.

kazbanz, Feb 1, 7:57pm
Helen I would assume the vehicle has been inspected mechanically and you are happy with it. If not then that is the next step. If so then I'd suggest you do c of o. This protects the seller more than you.
Its company policy here that all vehicles leave here already in the persons name
I'd pay the $5.00 for a ban chequefor peace of mind.
The cynic in me says take cash but thats because a certain type of auction buyer from me tends to try to renegotiate the price as they are picking the car up.

helen_nz2, Feb 1, 8:01pm
yes, I had the car inspection done before I made the offer. I'm not sure what "c of o. This protects the seller more than you" means. I am the buyer, not the seller

kazbanz, Feb 1, 8:04pm
helen- c of o ischanging the registration into your name. I would do that before picking up the car. and of course then you can organise your insurance too