Help - I need to find the past owner of a car

woozlies, Feb 1, 11:07pm
that my company has bought.Can I retreive this anywhere.I have rung the last owner, and he is unsure whether it was him personally, his company or family trust who owned it.I need it for GST purposes.

mugenb20b, Feb 1, 11:09pm
So, are you trying to find out the value of the car!

woozlies, Feb 1, 11:11pm
No, I need to find out if the last owner was GST registered, so they can supply me with the appropriate tax invoice.

gmphil, Feb 1, 11:21pm
Sound dodgy to me . Find last onwer ,would be person u brought of!

smac, Feb 1, 11:33pm
Who's name it was in is irrelevant. You need a receipt from whoever banked your money. The guy you rang WILL know that (or will be able to find out).

jcwholesale, Feb 1, 11:33pm
If you buy from some who is not GST registered and you are GST registered as long as you have a reciept/invoive you can assume the GST.

bitsy_boffin, Feb 2, 12:03am
Indeed, second hand goods, provided you have some form of receipt, are including GST for tax purposes even if there seller is not GST registered, the point is GST was likely paid on it at some point, so you can claim it.

My dad has been a second hand dealer most of his life, I only too clearly remember my job of writing down garage sale purchases in the book whilst travelling at speed in various old trucks at ungodly hours on a Saturday morning for the police and GST records 8-|

tgray, Feb 2, 12:18am
The point is, it's unfair for a dealer to not offset the GST component of a purchase, against the GST they need to charge when selling again.
If this wasn't the case, I would never buy a car off a private individual who was not GST registered!

rocky0169, Feb 2, 12:22am
car jam. small fee buys you a history report

tgray, Feb 2, 12:24am
doesn't give you private owners anymore.

supernova2, Feb 2, 6:50am
If its only for a GST input claim - who cares.2nd hand goods are deemed to include GST.Problem solved.The other point is who sells something and then says they not sure who owned it!Thats like saying I'm wearing undies but i don't know who they belong too!Hope it's not stolen!