Oxidised paint

-mung-, Feb 4, 10:27am
Some panels on my car always look nice and shiny and glossy as you'd expect, but other panels seem to oxidise at an alarming rate. It doesn't appear to be related to what gets hot or the sun or whatever.

Before coming here I googled and one result mentioned that paint jobs lacking a clear coat, or that have had the clear coat slowly fade away will oxidise quicker which um. makes sense. Do you reckon that's probably about it or is there something else I should look to!

I'm currently working on the car and will be painting bits and smoothing bits off anyway. So. I should finish it with clear coat! Yup, amateur with a spray can though I've done panel work before.

gammelvind, Feb 4, 7:38pm
Get some 1500 wet and dry sand paper. Wet sand the oxidised panels back to the good solid colour. Clean the panel with wax and grease remover and a lint free cloth. Spray with clear coat, a spray gun will give a much better finish than a spray can.

kazbanz, Feb 5, 1:03am
mung I would get cutting polish and cut the affected areas then polish them with a good quality polish before going to extremes.
I agree with gammel re wet sanding as a more agressive process but I wouldn't attempt to reclear coat.--wet sand then buff then polish would be what I would do

ceebee2, Feb 5, 2:38am
Sounds like a really cheap repair job previously.

gunhand, Feb 5, 3:17am
Oxidised paint in most cases is pretty well rooted paint. In some cases with solids you can buff it back to a shine but in a short time it will be dull again as a rule. Todays 2k solids should give years of good gloss with basic maintainance.
Single pack enamals which unfortunatly alot of people still paint cars with is the worst for going dull in a short time. Some may say with regular poilishing enamal will last but its still crap. Should be used only on a wheelbarrow lol.
As for clear coat peeling, well there a few reasons for that. But unless you sand all the clear off you will end up with edges and basicly I can see nothing good coming from useing a spray can over edgy old clear coat. And even sanding all the clear off I dont think you would get away re clearing and making a good job.
If one panel is faded and one not as suggested above it sounds like a crap repair in the past or that panel wasnt painted and is just old.For what it would cost to paint a panel you would be be better getting it done properly.
By the time you take into account what it would cost you to do it it may work out cheap for a pro to do it.

attitudedesignz, Feb 5, 3:29am
As well.

gunhand, Feb 5, 3:33am
We Have a "this" and "that" so ill add the "other thing".Having a day off the fumes attitude!

-mung-, Feb 5, 3:44am
Thank you for the responses.

Hmmmm. awfully difficult due to a bunch of other considerations that I won't bore you with. I mean I could but it's a whole pile of life decisions mainly that just happen to implicate the car. :p

gunhand, Feb 5, 3:46am
Go on, its a boring old day now ive done all the waterblasting and wood cutting lol.

-mung-, Feb 5, 4:43am
heh :p
ummmm.
well I love my car, had it for 10 years, and always vowed to keep it, run it into the ground or restore it as needed etc. It's just an MR2 but a nice and tidy one. But I became a student again a couple of years ago after work/recession issues (wanted to anyway but that gave me the push) and the car had a few issues due to a break in not long before so it kind of sat around most of the time for the last 2 years. I fixed those issues and have contemplated selling it (though in an ideal world I wouldn't) because the money would be handy to reduce the debts that becoming a student when I wasn't really ready to created, and now a couple of weeks ago, I moved to the in the city and have nowhere to park it.
So I sort of want to get the bodywork a bit nicer but can't justify/afford to do it professionally though I'd like to. and if I was keeping it and had space and real income I would. No parking is the real problem, otherwise I'd probably store it for one more year because next year I'll have graduated and have money again (yay).
I can always get another car later if I ever need one and build up fortune blah blah not a big deal etc. but y'know. it's my car.

That's my life story :p

attitudedesignz, Feb 5, 5:53am
Yeah mate, weather is crap and humidity is up 'round 98% so don't think i'll risk it lol.

gunhand, Feb 5, 6:19am
Yea I see what ya mean. I take it you really do not need a car in the mean time!Sell it and pay your debt. Debt is never a good thing if you dont have an income as such. Will it cover the debt if you sold it! If you kept it are you keeping it forever! If so can you store it at a family or friends place!
If selling I would just sell as is as doing dodgy looking repairs may make it look,well dodgy. as if your tring to hide something.
Driving cars into the ground can be costly over that time unless it goes really well then just suddenly goes bang one day (and thats th end of it, ie, run into the ground) and is not a case of on going repairs just to keep it running.
Good luck with what you decide.

gunhand, Feb 5, 6:21am
Humidity! Ive heard of it, was in Auckland once and think I experienced it. Is that when its pissing down but your sweating like a pig LOL

attitudedesignz, Feb 5, 6:33am
LOL not quite the same here mate, damn cold, raining and moisture contentin the air is shocking. Couldn't paint anything (nothing i'd want to garantee anyways) no matter what ya paid me.

-mung-, Feb 5, 7:30am
To answer: Nah don't really need a car most of the time, I like walking anyway. If I sold it I think it would cover the debt. If I kept it, my plan would be to keep it for good (I think). A family member did offer some space for storage yesterday (before I had no options) but I'm not sure I want to dump it on them really.
If I bought a new car one day I'd probably buy something cheap that I had no attachments to and didn't really care about.

Oh yeah and Auckland, I'm pretty it had nice summers when I was a kid but it's got worse and more tropical every year.