esawers, Feb 8, 8:38am
we're after a second car, for my husbands new job
needs to look flash/successful/not boyracerish

budget: up to $12k but preferably under 10k
4 doors (not a coupe)
economical (up to 2000cc)
mileage under 150000km, prefer alot less
reliable and not expensive to service
prefer newer than 2000 (isofix would be a bonus for carseats if we used it for the family)
auto or tiptronic

any suggestions!

mugenb20b, Feb 8, 8:40am
Good luck.

msigg, Feb 8, 8:42am
maxima, camry, passat, mazad6, honda euro .ect

mugenb20b, Feb 8, 8:45am
LMAO! I love the number plate.

incar., Feb 8, 9:37am
Buy a corolla, 2000-2003 average cost $10-12k, don buy anyhing else

esawers, Feb 8, 9:41am
ok.
allex or runx look good! any others!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 9:44am
12K would just about squeeze you into a MK5 VW Golf. They are fantastic on fuel, super safe, professional looking and a supurb car all round.

MK5 is the shape that starts in 2004, you can get one for your budget but you would need to be patient and ready to go when a good one comes up.

incar., Feb 8, 9:45am
Anyone of those, this looks good 446450599 i inspect cars for a living and run a 24 hour mobile mechanic business. dont buy any Euro crap

incar., Feb 8, 9:53am
Reliable! dont think so! actually i know so!

jmma, Feb 8, 9:54am
Wouldn't be much point getting you to check a Euro car then would it!
If its your business, you need to be less bias.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 9:58am
Funny they have been voted the most reliable fleet car in Europe then aye.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 9:59am
Oh. and how do I know. we have only had the 4 in the family.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 10:04am
Just trying to find the reliability article I read.
Found this instead. just as good:
http://supernewcar.com/vw-golf-best-fleet-car-british.htm Just to please the nit pickers, since I can't reference the article I was thinking of. here is another fleet survey and they rate it third. and ahead of Toyota. http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/18556-top-10-most-re
liable.html

incar., Feb 8, 10:04am
i agree, but this isn't Europe!
your last post is not worth answering

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 10:07am
Oh yes thats right. there are the magical import fairy's that make all the cars that are not made in Japan unreliable in this country and this country only. Whoops my mistake.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 8, 10:17am
I fail to see the relevance of an 'award' for new fleet vehicle reliability when pointing to a 10-year old example nor the relevance of a reliability 'survey' also on fleet vehicles that shows executive class vehicles as more reliable than the office hack Corolla that gets abused by everyone.

I put it to you that new there's not much in it but 10 years down the track there is a huge difference.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 10:24am
You raise half a good point.
The fleet survey is not just "executive class" vehicles it puts their entire fleet against each other (1.2 million fleet vehicles of all types including vans). So the office hack Corolla was in the mix too, it just didn't fare very well.

As for relevant, well the MK6 is still much the same design and technology as the MK5. You still have the DSG tansmission and FSI technology, the electronics etc all are much along the same lines. Thats whats so great, the OP's budget just squeezes them into a car that is still more advanced than a lot of what you can buy brand new even. Your math is also wrong, its a about a 7-8 year old example I posted not a 10 year old example.

Really though introll was just making blanket statements to rubbish the VW so I just grabbed some readily available evidence to the contrary.

incar., Feb 8, 10:26am
your more than welcome to email me if you would like any advice, as usual the thread is getting over run by crap talk, i gotta go on a break down, Vw wont change gear, no suprises there.

incar., Feb 8, 10:29am
watch your mouth son!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 10:45am
That was a quick breakdown service. Your L300 must be really fast.
. you know I can't tow your ghost vw.

Perhaps I am mistaken and its not an L300 but a Space Head. sorry Space Gear.

msigg, Feb 8, 6:19pm
Thats very interesting incar. I was recently speaking to our local AA service breakdown person, I asked him if you were buying a $2000 - $5000car , what ones would you look at and why. he just said most are pretty good now days ,but i would stay away from the european brands. Go figure.

kazbanz, Feb 8, 6:48pm
Quite frankly with that budget and that easy specification the world really is your oyster. I'd type you out a list of possibilities but frankly I'd reach my word limit before I ran out of cars.

grangies, Feb 8, 6:54pm
hehehehe I never noticed that. lol

gmphil, Feb 8, 9:11pm
Free of charge!

incar., Feb 8, 9:54pm
yes free of charge, but only if they wanted real facts, not maybe, should be or could be!