Hi guys, can you help in picking a new car?

susiemay, Feb 14, 5:50pm
Have been reading through this forum for days now trying to find out info, have decided to go for either a ford escape/mazda tribute, mitsubishi pajero io, or a nissan x-trail. My fav atm is the ford escape, it seems abit cheaper in price and comes with factory roof rack.

Will be used for town travel, and will also be used to go around the lakes etc which is why i need the ground clearence. Not to mention chch roads are dreadful still so looking to get something abit more robust.

TIA :)

susiemay, Feb 14, 5:52pm
forgot to mention, my budget is hopefully around 10k, but this could probably stretch for the right car to around 13-14k. Looking at cars that have done well under 100k for this price

berg, Feb 14, 7:27pm
Pick of those three for me would be the X-Trail. The Escape can be a thursty bugger and the Io is a bit on the small side.
Another option to think about, and my personal preferance of smaller 4x4s would be a Suzuki Vitara.

jsbike, Feb 14, 7:36pm
father in law recently replaced his auto 3L toyota surffor a cvt 2L xtrail. he says its far better on gas driving around normally. Towing a caravan from chch to nelson, he sais it used almost the same gas as the surf did towing the same caravan on the same trip.

jason18, Feb 14, 7:40pm
Is that an xtroid cvt! Towing with a normal cvt is only recommended at 700kg. I would also go for an xtrail.

susiemay, Feb 14, 7:57pm
might look into the xtrail then :) cheers guys

susiemay, Feb 15, 1:28am
Well we ended up getting a mazda tribute, 65k on the clock the 2l model, its not the fastest but it will be cheaper round town. Thanks for the input though guys, we saw a few xtrails but didnt agree on them, lol wish me luck with my new car. hopefully i wont be back here asking for advice when it breaks or something lol, although they gave us a free 6 month warranty so it should be fine :)

jason18, Feb 15, 2:09am
Fair enough your money :). Hope you enjoy the car.

jsbike, Feb 15, 2:25am
not sure, whatever it was rated at it was ok for the caravan (1000-1200kg). Also, which i found strange, was the towing rating of the cvt + petrol was more than the diesel verson

susiemay, Feb 15, 2:59am
So far so good, actually preffered it over the escape, very nice ride and the body is in great cond, although in saying that i am used to driving 80s toyotas lol

kerrieann, Feb 15, 3:12am
mitsubishi triton.drives like a car works like a horse looks cool and will go and go .parts and service are cheaper than most to plus 5 different models to choose from

jason18, Feb 15, 3:17am
True oh good stuff. Would have thought diesel would have kicked ass!