From auto to manual

robertsr, Feb 21, 6:02am
Hi out there, I have a 2003 vy Ls1 with auto and i can get my hands on a 6speed i have been told that the t56 manual box wont fit because they designedit so you cannot do the change over is this true

pebbles61, Feb 21, 6:50am
So you're saying to want to take the auto transmission off your car and place a manual one in it's place! Doubt it can be done and you'd need an entire engine with the manual transmission as the mating between the transmission cases are different normally.

robertsr, Feb 21, 7:05am
cheers mate i was told the same thanks for that

jsbike, Feb 21, 7:11am
above is wrong. if its available as a manual with that engine, you just have to fit the right box, a company is not going to make one engine for auto and one for manual.

Admittedly the only auto to manual conversion was on a nissan a31 cefiro, converted from 4wd auto to 4wd manual, straight bolt on fit.

pebbles61, Feb 21, 7:14am
Not all engines do jsbike, you're right, but most seem to; I know that's the case for my car. Also they don't need to make an entire new engine, just a different case.

pebbles61, Feb 21, 7:15am
Was the gear box behind or under the engine! if it's under (like on most FWDs) then normally the mating is different.

jason18, Feb 21, 7:21am
Surely you can mod the bellhousing to fit!

jsbike, Feb 21, 7:25am
a31 cefiro so gearbox is behind with the front differential integrated in to the engine sump.

engines casings as far as I know don't often differ between auto and manual, they do often differ between transverse, and east west with the same motor, example being sr20de primera (transverse) and sr20de (east-west) silvia.

alimac1, Feb 21, 7:25am
Often the crankshaft is different between an auto and a manual.

supernova2, Feb 21, 7:29am
VY LS1 is a dunnydoor is it not!Nothing is impossible as far as physically mounting the box on the back of the engine.I have no idea but I'm assuming the 'puter systems for auto and manual are probably going to be the bigest problem.Ive swaped auto and manual motors before and got away with it but in the more moden stuff why would you bother!Sell the auto car and buy a manual.At endf of day will work out better cheeper and far easier.

electric_blonde, Feb 21, 7:39am
it can be done but not by a backyarder.the conversion it's self is quite straight forward.but it's the electronics that are the snag. auto 1 has a different loom and comp to the manual 1. the engine ecm will try to talk to the auto and when it doesn't get a signal back it won't start.been down this road before.cost the owner quite a few bucks to get the electrics sorted.in older cars you could just bridge the wiring to the inhibitor switch and you were off. modern electronics don't work that way.