Scratches in car paint

nzflowers2004, Mar 3, 10:07pm
How do you get scratch marks out of car paint without going to the panel beater. I would be keen on some bright ideas!

intrade, Mar 3, 10:09pm
depends on how deep!

gunhand, Mar 3, 10:26pm
As a rule if you can hook your finger nail in them they wont go away with conventional methods i:e cut and polish. However a good cut and polish may take your eye off them somewhat. If you cant feel them a good cut and polish may well remove them. A light sand with 1200/200 grit wet sandpaper will flatten the surface and may remove the scratch then be buffed up again.
If you have no experince in doing this you could end up with a disaster on your hands.

mark.52, Mar 3, 10:32pm
This looks like a pretty good link. http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6723826_diy-scratch-remover.html

Lots of related links, too.

gunhand, Mar 3, 10:40pm
There are parts in that first link that are a load of bollocks. Once you have cut through the clear to the base coat putting clear over it will not make it go away. And also putting polish over it also wont make it go away. May protect it abit but thats all.

nzflowers2004, Mar 4, 4:53am
Thanks I will have a go

mark.52, Mar 4, 7:11am
That may be true. But there is enough info there that an average "handy" person should be able to work it out.

cassandra13, Mar 4, 7:37am
cut and polish as said, but a car groomer can us a orbital tool that works heaps better with a stronger grade.