Sweet Geely ride? Panda friendly motoring!

mcscottwgtn, Mar 25, 11:09pm
They probably said that about the jap stuff when it hit our shores.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 25, 11:11pm
I still say that about a lot of Jap stuff.

On a serious note though, at least the Japanese have respect for copyright laws and have not taken the piss nearly as much with sub standard "C-NCAP" crash tests etc.

Theonly good thing about the Geely is its one of the least pungent turds in the septic tank that is Chinese motor vehicles.

mcscottwgtn, Mar 25, 11:23pm
On the Geely website it says 5 stars - but it mentions it is the 'Chinese NCAP' test.Would that be a facsimile of the real mccoy.
How some get away with a total lack of copy right respect, is beyond me.

motorboy2011, Mar 25, 11:23pm
I dont think they are that bad, they are significantly safer than a motorbike and use near as much fuel as one. In years to come, when my kid gets on the road and he has a choice of this piece of crap or a motorbike/scooter for around the same price, id rather the car!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 25, 11:45pm
They get away with it because the government helps them, and everyone is too scared to piss off the Chinese government.

The C-NCAP tests are a joke, they are a facsimile only in name. They crash them slower than NCAP. so obviously they sustain less damage.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 25, 11:46pm
The reality of the situation is no one ever has to choose between those to. Right now you can buy $4000 secondhand cars with similar safety and economy to the Geely.

motorboy2011, Mar 25, 11:54pm
My statment was for when these cars are getting on in years, because thats exactly the choice I had as a 17 year old on getting my licence. I had NOWHERE near 4k for a car, and I would go as far to say thet MOST kids dont get sweet FA choice on what cars they can afford. I had a choice of a $1200 car or an $800 motorbike, much to dads dismay I got the $800 motorbike. The cars which you say are crap will most likely be around the $1000-$1500 mark by the time my son is 17, I would BEG him to get one of them over a motorbike!

elect70, Mar 26, 1:06am
Well they must meet all Nzfrontal impact regs & other safteyregsmusnt they ! . Or do ourMinistry of transport turn a blind eye & just acceptCNCAP rating at face value .Yet they put strictstandards on olderused imports that probably exceed theCNCAP .Free trade !cheap cheats

bwg11, Mar 26, 2:34am
"They" and I did. Bought a 2 litre Cortina GT in 1973 because of all the negative anti-japanese sentiment. It was absolute crap. Once the Corolla and Datsun 1200 became established, it was obvious to all, how they performed and never broke. Remember their competitors at the time were Marinas, Avengers, Hunters and Allegros, so their market dominance was assured. I replaced the Cortina with a Toyota. 30 years later and 15 japanese cars later I have not had a single breakdown or stopage on the road. In one year the Cortina had radiator leaks, gearlever came out roots and all while driving and 2 diff rebuilds to stop noise. The Cortina brochure claimed to have cured NVN (Noise,Vibration & Harshness) I think they invented it with the Mark 3 Cortina.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 26, 5:07am
Those laws still let them sell cab forward vans which are horrible death traps. (although possibly they get away with it as they are trade vehicles).

Mostly its bad though because of the miss-representation. It may well be a 3 or even 4 star NCAP car but when people are duped into thinking its a 5 star one thats poor, especially as its human lives at stake.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 26, 5:12am
Still dosn't really happen, it certainly sounds like it would in theory but the reality is different. Just look at the old Hyundai Wagons and Daewoo's which were a very similar concept new and are now in that price range. Sure they are there and cheap but you don't need to stoop to getting one as there are plenty of other better options in the price range.

I have bought plenty of really decent vehicles at that price point.

AND. if it really came to it that you could get a newer Geely for your money it would likely turn out like those Chinese scooters, where its much better to buy an older Japanese scooter than a newer Chinese one for your money.