Auto flaring - Honda S-MX 1997

doriandarby, Mar 26, 6:27am
Borrowing a mate's Honda S-MX with the B20B engine.The gearbox is flaring between 2-3 (or 3-4, not sure to be honest).Pretty sure the thermostat is stuck open as the car only reaches operating temp when idling.Soon drops off at normal speed.

How likely is it that the colder-than-normal engine temp is causing the gearbox to flare!or is it purely a gearbox problem!

motorboy2011, Mar 26, 7:32am
I had a prelude that did that when cold, after it had warmed up it was fine, changing the auto trans fluid didnt make any difference with mine. Your engine temp and auto flaring problem may not be related, the engine temp prob will be the thermostat, either the mechanical one not closing, or the electric one not shutting the fans off.

doriandarby, Mar 26, 7:36am
Its flaring when the engine is "warm", didnt seem anywhere near as bad when engine at normal temp.The fan isnt on all the time, pretty sure its the thermostat itself thats stuck.

The gearbox ECU has an engine temp input - is this just for the 4th gear lock up or more than that!

mugenb20b, Mar 26, 9:00am
My old Orthia did that (same drivetrain as SMX). Transmission problem I'd say.

Oh, and what fluid did you use!

doriandarby, Mar 26, 9:36pm
Havent checked the transmission fluid yet.but will do the thermostat this weekend anyway, as the fuel consumption seems high.when checking trans fluid, do I check it hot/cold, running/stopped!

mugenb20b, Mar 26, 11:33pm
Engine hot, not running (for most Hondas). Although, I also checked mine with engine running, and in neutral.

doriandarby, Mar 26, 11:38pm
Thanks for that - last question:park or neutral!