That's a lot of car for $2500

tgray, Apr 7, 3:44am
I owned one of these years ago, and it was one of the nicest driving cars I had ever had at the time.
I think they were $90,000 new (when $90k bought you a house!) and the head of Subaru NZ used to drive one.
ps, no, I don't know the seller!

mk3crazy, Apr 7, 4:20am
$90.000! for a rice burner come on, yeah you know the seller don't lie.

phillip.weston, Apr 7, 4:20am
now they are a massive liability in terms of reliability and parts availability. Subaru really missed the boat by about 5-10 years with that car. I always loved the saying coined for them - "The great 1980s super-car. of the 1990s".

vtecintegra, Apr 7, 4:22am
It couldn't compete with any of the other big Japanese GT cars which were all available with much more powerful turbocharged engines.

phillip.weston, Apr 7, 4:23am
It's not out of the ordinary. a Mitsubishi Starion was $75,000 by the mid-late 80s, and the NZ-new Mitsubishi GTOs (UK spec with leather etc) were over $100k brand new.

bellky, Apr 7, 4:24am
All facts aside, it's hideous.

trogedon, Apr 7, 5:07am
They were more a Grand Tourer than a Supercar. Anybody with 1/2 a brain knows a car like this is going to be a nightmare - even in the short term - parts, parts prices, repairs, getting someone who knows them to work on them.Prices; in '86 I knew a guy who paid $58k for a new Prelude!

foxdonut, Apr 7, 5:09am
"A lot of car"

I think you mean:

"A lot of shit car."

Hugo boss jeans are 'worth' 500 dollars, that doesn't make it so.

pollymay, Apr 7, 5:22am
Pig heavy breaks all the time subaru.

I wish people would pay to take away my problems

musikcrazee, Apr 7, 5:52am
I had one - loved it. I would buy one again but it was very heavy (i.e. got smoked by a 90's vtec prelude - stink!) got about the same milage as a TT legacy B4. Think they were around 230hp! They sound nice (EG33 engines are used in aircraft) but yeah lots of cons. Id buy it for that price tho!

alltorque350, Apr 7, 6:40am
For that price, buy it and stick it in a shed. Future classic I reckon. Could be a good investment.

trogedon, Apr 7, 7:04am
The SHED would be a better investment!

the_don_61, Apr 7, 7:15am
MJ fox might have been keen.allways reminded me of back to the future.

A NZ New Nissan V8 Leopard cost $86K new in 1991.I carnt see this being 90K

Head of Nissan/Datsun NZdrove a 1600SSS in 1969

beechman, Apr 7, 7:19am
LOLz!

pollymay, Apr 7, 7:19am
It has to outstrip inflation to be an "investment", cars are terrible at this

mugenb20b, Apr 7, 10:00pm
True.

bellky, Apr 7, 10:05pm
The shed would actually depreciate as it degrades. The land however would appreciate over time, probably outdoing inflation and rates etc.

mugenb20b, Apr 7, 10:13pm
If you add a $20k shed to your property, you increase the overall value of your property by at least $30k. Assuming you live in a good area, not some shithole in a rundown neighbourhood.

geedubu, Apr 7, 10:16pm
Very interesting car & a bargain at that price.according to wikipedia they sold for $US11,000 more than any other Subaru & still Subaru lost $3,000 on every one sold.A kind of showcase car for them sold as a prestige statement.I don't subscribe to the blather about "rice-burners" etc -- plenty of entertaining/interesting cars made in Japan.

bellky, Apr 7, 10:19pm
Semantics.

doug207, Apr 8, 6:22am
I'd love an SVX if the V8 Soarer didn't exist

mugenb20b, Apr 8, 6:38am
No comprende.