2003 mazda demio - any traps?

pieman33h, Apr 8, 9:20am
the girlfriend is looking to buy a 2003 demio and has roped me in to going with her to have a look.Are there any known dramas with this model! anything in particular i should pay attention to!
Im quite capable of checkin it out, just would like a heads up - cheers!

fordcrzy, Apr 8, 9:24am
you CANNOT change the stereo out. if you buy one then look at one thats had the stereo done in japan. otherwise your screwed.
im sure there is about to be a 12 paragraph novel about how you shouldnt buy one, but they are ok if your just banging around town. hopeless on the open road.

whats her budget!

jasongroves, Apr 8, 9:26am
Pretty reliable wee buggers actually.
Seeing more and more on the road and heard of very few problems.
Easy to get parts for and cheap as chips to run.
Service history and a pre-purchase inspection are the most important issues as with any vehicle.

jasongroves, Apr 8, 9:28am
Hmmmm.I wonder whom it is that would object on this forum and suggest something from the Fiat or VW camp! Got me stumped;)

pieman33h, Apr 8, 9:29am
cheers guys, i havent heard anything bad about them, she mostly just goes from work to home and my place so mostly round town.budget! whats a budget! hahahhah, think she looking to spend bout 7 odd thou, but less is good too!

andy61, Apr 8, 5:19pm
They are prone to breaking the right side engine mount,however a new mount from Mazda is`nt too badly priced,and easy enough to replace(cost me $150 for the mount and about an 1 hour to remove and refit),very reliable cars.

stevo2, Apr 9, 6:51am
Mrs Stevo had the previous model (96) from near new to 110,000 km. Apart from servicing every 10,000km all it needed was a plug lead at 85,000km and a rear shock at 105,000km. It was a 1500cc 5 speed and went very well up to about 125kph when it would start to run out of puff. Only reach about 155kph flat out. It had heaps more room inside than you would have thought carrying 2 mountain bikes. Recommended ++

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 9, 7:05am
Yes! If you ever have to drive it, you'll look like a homosexual. So wear a disguise, even when looking at it.

pieman33h, Apr 9, 7:16am
haha thats awesome, im the least gay looking man you have ever seen so that wont be a prob!
She took it for a test drive - its has less power than a bicycle! so thats off the list now!

bellky, Apr 9, 7:18am
Really!

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 9, 7:20am
The deviants come in all shapes and sizes, my friend.

stevo2, Apr 9, 7:45am
The 1300cc auto is a gutless p.o.s., try the 1500cc

pieman33h, Apr 9, 8:38am
apparently it was advertised as a 1600cc, was gutless as

kazbanz, Apr 10, 2:16am
I would guess your freind drove a 1300cc Demio. Take a 1500 for a drive. There is a world of difference. Other than the right top engine mount issue and not being ablle to fit a kiwi sterio to the pre 07 versions they are actually a pretty solid reliable bit of kit.
Incidently there is a cunning plan developing on that front. A bloke in europe desighned a single din setup for the centre top of the dashboard. Trouble is noone can find him. Im working on a modification of a suzuki solio unit.

ace_me1, Apr 10, 9:29am
Also check for rust, very common for them to rust out in the rear by the subframe

kazbanz, Apr 10, 9:04pm
That won't be an issue if its a fresh import. either it wasn't rusty in the first place or the rust has been repaired up to as new standard.Incidently this only apears to be an issue in cars from colder parts of japan suggesting that the salty water off the road may have a way in to the chasios rail

theedge76, Apr 14, 10:17am
Yes indeed, if you get a Demio, forget about changing the radio. I had to end up getting a band expander in mine. Next car I (probably) get will be a Verisa, where you *can* change the radio.
Otherwise, my Demio is a good car.

rupertmja1, Apr 14, 10:30am
Make sure the battery connections are tight or you lose the electrically assissted powered steering. Hate it.

pieman33h, Apr 14, 9:39pm
cool thanks for all the help. am now up to speed with faults in mazda demio! tho may be info i will never need now, she bout a toyota vitz yesterday!

kazbanz, Apr 14, 10:04pm
Pieman--drive a vitz (echo/yarris) back to back with a demio of the same year and milage.