Painting a car - how long does the actual painting

Page 2 / 2
gunhand, Apr 21, 9:09am
Yep, been there done that lol but use spot primer as a rule.but mucks a day up lol.

rob_man, Apr 21, 9:15am
All in a day's torment innit!

gunhand, Apr 21, 9:18am
Yip, thats what sorts the men from the boys, how to sort it on the hop .

gt244, Apr 22, 3:13am
Thanks for the replies.

I know a guy that will paint for me, just need to clear up the details and $$.

Have a car trailer so transporting all masked is not a problem.

I am a perfectionist, and I know that a quality paint job requires a LOT of prep work (and an experienced painter).

elect70, Apr 23, 5:26am
Take off every thing can that wont be painted prep itas best can yourself& leave rest to painterhe probably give it a coat ofprimer& sand smoothfirst , to avoid any reaction with existing paintThats what i did on my BMW coupecost $2000

grangies, Apr 23, 6:37am
It's a problem if it's windy or raining.

Why not let the painter do the masking!

gunhand, Apr 23, 6:45am
Yep, there nothing worse than pulling off masking and realising some of it was on the panel, makes a nice mess. But interestingly it would still be the painters fault even he/she didnt mask it.
NEVER trust someone elses work LOL.

grangies, Apr 23, 7:19am
Indeed.

Masking is a precise part of the job. It comes down to less than one millimeter tolerance in exterior situations.

intrade, Apr 23, 8:49am
yes masking a car is not easy and shitty cheap masking tape will let paint under it when painting. If i was a painter i would not accept anyone masking my job same as above

mantagsi, Apr 23, 10:01am
I am far from ever being labelled as a painter, but part of my job often involves the odd quick spray coat here and there, and yep I definately agree with intrade #34, get GOOD masking tape, the cheap stuff is shocking for admitting paint across boundaries, and some of the bad stuff 'wicks' the paint causing jaggies and poor edges, bloody awful stuff