Classic car pricing

Page 1 / 2
murray55, Apr 13, 9:15am
Has anyone else been taken aback by the incredible prices asked for some so called classic cars .mainly old worn out vehicles which were nothing special even when new !

a.woodrow, Apr 13, 10:46am
Yep, but as mentioned on here many times, asking price can be very different to sold price

yeahm8, Apr 13, 11:16am
Some people do ask for some outrageous figures but then it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

gammelvind, Apr 13, 8:02pm
See the same on the motorhome side, funny a year later they are still there.

brokebloke1, Apr 13, 9:08pm
so true. years back i had 2 xy or xw falcon sedans sitting on the front yard couldnt sell them for months they were cheap about $2000 for the pair in the end scrapped them! now they are worth big money bugger!

msigg, Apr 13, 10:58pm
Yea end of day market decides, heaps of american cars have come into the country lately, this will devalue all the others over time.

bellky, Apr 13, 11:16pm
What is the point of your post! Is it just to mock classic car owners who are selling their cars at what you think are over-optimistic prices! If so why bother, the discussion has been had already. It is what it is.

murray55, Apr 14, 2:02am
What then is the point of any discussion .and if this particular topic has been raised before that's fine, I obviously am unaware of the fact.
The point I was trying to make was that many owners seem to consider their vehicles "classics" and ask exorbitant prices,when in fact they are merely tired old ordinary cars from the 70's, 80's etc. I would consider a "classic" to be something quite special even when new. Mind you this is only my opinion. It is one thing to ask a higher price than you expect to sell for, but honestly take a look at some of the classic car listings and the prices being asked . cars in pieces, full of rust, deregistered etc.

sfw4, Apr 14, 11:32am
so true. Market dictates. Years ago in early 90's could buy a 64Impala for $5000k excellent cond. Now that people got more disposable income and re-mortgage leveraging

pebbles61, Apr 14, 11:46am
What's a classic is a matter of opinion isn't it! I find big old yank tanks from the 50s and 60s to be technically boring, where as cars like the mini, 1300, 1800 are technically interesting. They're classics now as they're not common these days, it doesn't have to be some V8 etc to be a classic.

saki, Apr 14, 7:40pm
We like our classics not because they are technically interesting but technically simple.

pebbles61, Apr 15, 3:37am
Can't they be both!

bellky, Apr 15, 3:55am
Yes of course. Rotaries are technically interesting, and technically simple.

freeman42, Apr 15, 4:17am
supply and demand and if there are only a small amount in the country or all the excellent condition are all ready long gone and rarely up for sale has an effect

pebbles61, Apr 15, 4:29am
_b

I like my hydrolastic suspension, not really complex but a interesting piece of technology

bellky, Apr 15, 4:34am
Agreed, you talking about Mini I guess.
I think I made a mistake about rotary being technically simple though because the calculations based around how the rotor spins the eccentric shaft in the epitrochoid housing would have been quite complicated to work out I reckon.

pebbles61, Apr 15, 4:37am
Well when most people say technically simple I'd image they're refering to the fact that it can worked on by the average person at home without the need of a comupter to refill the washer fluid lol. I'm talking about 1800 by the way

bellky, Apr 15, 4:41am
Oh yep that makes sense. Oh yep, Austin 1800.

saki, Apr 15, 5:09am
They used to be when I bought my first one in 1978,after eight of them and racing 3 that I built over an 18 year period I dont find them so any more.

saki, Apr 15, 5:20am
Na moved back to cortinas more affordable to buy regular maintenance a little cheaper and I dont lose my liscence any more now, and funnily enough the cortina was better in the windy stuff than the stock suspended series 2 RX2 that is utill I fitted it with Konis got a bit of castor on the front.

nzfatie, Apr 15, 5:39am
Any good car 40+ years old will be popular as they're only $111 to register.sure beats coughing up $287.lol

mals69, Apr 15, 6:05am
Its in the eye of the beholder #1 you might not think a rusted out mk1 cortina is worth much but plenty do when they are 10 grand plus for a decent one - young boy racers wanting them pushed the value up .

pebbles61, Apr 15, 7:15am
Lucky for me, boy racers seem to dislike FWD =D

scuba, Apr 15, 9:29pm
A mini is classic- a 1300 is still the same piece of shite they were brand new . Although the old add was a classic where they used to drive it through the paddocks with the family onboard.
An 1800- I reserve my judgement bahaha.
As for hydrolastic suspension you must have fun finding someone with a pump setup for that ,and spare parts must be a bitch nowadays.

pebbles61, Apr 16, 12:15am
I'd prefer a 1300 over a mini =D

1800 is a marmite car, love it or hate it. As for the suspension, my mechanic down the road still has a 'dalek' pump, you can also produce home-made pumps if need be. Spares displacers are getting a be rarer, but existing ones can be repairedbelieve.