Bike and Car to Aussie

bowcer, Apr 15, 6:20am
Can anybody tell me the approx costs involed taking a bike and a car to Aussie! Is it worth it!

intrade, Apr 15, 6:36am
sell here bike maybe possibile but car be a waste of time due to complet different restrictive rules. just go to south australia no wofs there and buy a lpg car even do lpg gone up from 56 cent to 90 now in australia also.

a.woodrow, Apr 15, 6:40am
Vehicles are cheap over in aussie. are they special interest vehicles you want to take! If they are just your daily drives, sell here and buy something else over there

foxdonut, Apr 15, 6:59am
Lol. Spend a lot of time here! Cars in Australia are some of the most expensive in the world.

Op - unless you've owned the car for more than 2 years you won't get it into any state at all. After that you face a wall of red tape and potentially huge, in recoverable costs. Unless the car is worth more than 100k nz, its not worth the trouble.

carlz05, Apr 15, 7:54am
If you've owned them less than 2 years you may need to pay 10% GST in Aust in Aust dollars too.I've heard of people doing it, and they've all said they wouldn't do it again.

a.woodrow, Apr 15, 8:09am
Yes. lived in Australia and worked in the automotive industry. Cars in Australia are cheaper, the only exception being very low end cars where Aussie prices are high. Hence why I asked if the vehicles were something special or not - it's not worth shipping over a run of the mill car.

ETA - If you live in oz, why not update your location on trademe!

wasser61, Apr 15, 9:15am
Oh so correct , second hand cars here in Queensland are just over the top for pricing. I wanted to get a the missus a nice 3 or 4 year old Corolla or equivalent, ended up buying a new Focus as it was only $2000 more and came with 6 year 200,000 km warrenty.

bowcer, Apr 15, 9:35am
OK Thanks, Its a 911 Porsche that i want to take and i notice on E-Bay Aussie that the prices are quite a lot higher than NZ for this car.

wasser61, Apr 15, 9:42am
ummmmmmmmmm. I would be taking thatas well.:)

franc123, Apr 15, 9:51am
Thats a different matter entirely, its not like some people on here who are considering taking a Nissan Primera or Honda Accord for instance lol. if its over 15 years old and especially you have owned it for several years then it would definitely be worth it, theyt aren't as tough on older cars.Shipping to the east coast starts at about $4K I think plus of course the customs/MAF fees and onroads.Best thing to do is to get hold of a shipping agent and the Transport Dept of the state you are going to.

robbo36, Apr 15, 10:17am
Just don't ship it in a container using the "Rena" shipping company, as it may end up on an island just off The Mount!

magicmat, Apr 15, 10:20am
Yep that is true - plus I am sure when I checked it out recently you only had to have owned the car for a year not two years as stated earlier. I am considering this as mine will owe me too much and it may be worth just taking it when I head back in the next month or less.

bowcer, Apr 15, 10:29am
Yes the car is 14 years old and i have owned it for around four years. Whats the difference when the car reaches 15 years old! Thanks.
I am not moving to Oz for two more months.

a.woodrow, Apr 15, 10:37am
What state!

bowcer, Apr 15, 10:46am
Queensland

a.woodrow, Apr 15, 11:04am
http://www.tauruslogistics.co.nz/shipping/car/australia

this might help.
Hope your 911 doesn't see you run foul of the luxury tax!
Let us know if you go ahead, would be interesting to know an all up cost.

bowcer, Apr 15, 12:01pm
OK Thanks for that i have asked for a quote.

foxdonut, Apr 15, 1:16pm
993 or 964! Turbo, s, or na!

If you can get a 930 over here somehow, I haven't seen them selling for less than 140 thousand. No kidding, 930 turbo, 160 from a classic dealer in nrth syd. Not even a very good one.

bowcer, Apr 15, 6:44pm
Hi No its just a 996 C2 one of the very first ones made.