Auto electricians

pickles26, May 3, 5:23am
That is expensive

mantagsi, May 3, 5:35am
Only 10 amp! If you are wiring the caravan up in 12v I would perhaps look at something that might handle a higher current draw. Keep in mind that 12v stuff can draw what might seem like surprising amounts of current, but then again 12v at 10a is only 120w which isnt a huge amount! Oh, and not trying to teach you to suck eggs but ESPECIALLY with DC wiring, use fuses! Dont even let the thought enter your head that you mightn't need them. Unlike AC, when you get a DC short the whole wire melts, not just the point of short. ANyway, rant over, good luck

tonyrockyhorror, May 3, 6:14am
Yep, as close to the power source as practical.

Personally, I'd use tinned appliance wire for a start - 2.5mm² minimum. Where's the 12V coming from! Not your car battery I hope.

mantagsi, May 3, 6:17am
I've left it at work so I can't quote any figures, but I have an incredibly useful bible on 12v wiring which gives extreme detail for all aspects of 12v systems, ie; voltage drop over distance depending on wire gauge etc etc, but all of it is freely available on the net. tonyrockyhorror raised a very valid point regarding voltage drop too, 10 points to that man :)

wellyguynz, May 3, 7:36am
ok i am using adual battery system with a 120ah deep cycle aglm Battery which in monted in the camper running heavy cable from a 100amp battery isolater in the car to the rear then connecting up with anderson plugs

from there it wi8ll run to a junction box withtwin core cables running to each accessory 2 15 watt lights which will draw 1.25 amps each on seperate circits 2 12 volt socketswhci i will run heavier cable as they will be used fonother circit for the Car stereo there will be a 100amp fuse near the voltage regulator then each circit will be fused from the junction box n the camper

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp!ID=WH3079&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=995#1

bigfatmat1, May 3, 7:50am
that cable would be fine for the use you state. However I would not be paying that price.

bigfatmat1, May 3, 7:51am
I would shop at ya local auto sparky for this cable and advise