Kawasaki ZXR400 '90

cne_merchant, May 15, 5:48am
Hey all,

Finally got my bike today. Not a 94 as first thought, but a '90 ,and a bit more problems than just missing ignition. However it has got plenty of goodies, and definetly has the potential. Not dereged either. Good score for 450nzd, i thought.

Now the question :) what would be the best place in Hamilton to get the parts from! Any places that bike riders on here would recommend! Rather go to a place with a good reputation.

The plan is to fully strip the bike and do a ground up rebuild, so will need quiet a few parts.

Cheers for any info.

m16d, May 15, 9:13am
Go to Boyds. even tho they not kwaka dealers, they are top blokes and blokesses that WILL help you.

cne_merchant, May 15, 9:18am
Cheers, mate. Will give them a buzz :)

kaymay88, May 15, 10:02am
best place to go for what parts exactly!
there is bikebusters, a biek wrecker with a pretty good name around NZ.

Personally I would suggest checkig out Ebay if you want to be cost effective. Buy only from reputable sellers, and in my experience you have a better chance of getting a good deal, and good parts than you do buying within NZ when it comes to second hand

cne_merchant, May 15, 7:53pm
Wouldnt the shipping price offset the savings though! Still gonna check ebay out and compare the prices. Bikebusters sound good as well. Thanks, mate :)

As for the parts, its hard to tell at the moment. In the process of stripping the bike now, but deffinetly replace the electrical system, as all the wires are stuffed with some broken connections as well, probably engine componets for a rebuild (not sure yet), the middle metal part thingy that holds the gauges, possibly new chain, sprockets, etc. :)my first bike project, so pretty keen on redoing everything there is possible :) the only real way to learn, i guess :)

desmodave, May 15, 9:11pm
Have you had it running at all ! could end up just being a money pit if your not care full

cne_merchant, May 15, 9:15pm
Did not have it running yet, but in a worst case scenario will just get another 2nd hand engine. Want to sort out the electrics first.

cowlover, May 16, 4:11am
From what you have said it sounds to me like a bottomles pitas far as cost goes.When you have done all this work and spent ALL of your money what do you intend to do with the bike and what will it realistily be worth!

cne_merchant, May 16, 4:34am
Ride it or sell it. Not sure yet. But in my opinion it will cost less than an auto mechanic course at uni or polytech. Engine rebuilds and routine full on maintance has taught me a lot about cars, but bikes have always been my fascination. Was too scared to touch them before. Lol so figured ill be better off doing a ground up rebuild on a bike to learn about them :)

cne_merchant, May 16, 4:38am
Most parts will be 2nd hand, but still of a good quality.So might be able to cut down on new part costs. Also all work is done by myself, so cutting down on labour charges :) its not as bad as it sounds, i guess. But will see. Prepared to drop around 3000 in the bike. Considering it w ould cost 3 times that at uni/polytech. Not a resident here.after 10 years, lmao.sa, funny but true :)

richynuts, May 16, 4:47am
Don't do a ground up on a bike like that, you will never get your money back, the problem is when your buy from a wrecker often parts like fuel tanks. radiators, fairings etc are the same for a bike 20 years old or 2 years old, If the bike is actually a '89(will have a brace on swingarm) may be worth just reselling as a pre '89 racebike. Better to rebuild a 70's bike like CB400four or RD400/350. BTW don't forget tradertin1212who is a local wrecker here in chch his parts are very realistic.

cne_merchant, May 16, 4:58am
Its a 90 :) the ground up rebuild is mostly to learn about bikes, it was only 450nzd :) but i see where you are coming from. The bike is almost fully stripped already. Will reuse all the parts i can, and that willl be most of them, i think. Could probably get my money back just on parts, but than i am not sure when ill get another one to learn .thought while its here must as well try my best :).

Thanks for he tip about the trader, mate, muchly appreciated. Will get in touch with him :)

cne_merchant, May 17, 3:55am
Bike is fully stripped, yay :)now the scary part, putting stuff back on.And it brings on another question, anybody has a recomendation for a bike sparky! around Hamilton! I will need somebody to wire up the whole bike from scratch with new wire harnessin a week or two :)

richynuts, May 17, 6:18am
nooooo! You will go way over budget just doing that. List the parts on TM before you reach the point of no return

desmodave, May 17, 6:44am
If you want to learn why not have a go yourself.Whats stoping the original electrics working !

cne_merchant, May 17, 6:47am
Lol. I reached that point when fisrt parts came off. Hooked now :)the whole point of doing it is to learn, and see if i am able to assemble a bike from scratch :)

cne_merchant, May 17, 6:51am
Thinking of it, to be honest. Just was never good with electrics :)ill probably have a crack at it though, we'll see. But would be good to have a reputable sparky as a back up. As for original electrics, looks old, fragile, wires torn,, connectors missing, etc. Not a pretty site :)