Kawasaki ninja advice

jonniboi, May 9, 6:12am
I just bought a 2008 250 ninja and am just wondering if anyone can tell me how fast this should go! I know all legalities aside ive had it 160kmph should it go faster! As my mums husband works at vtnz and said it seems to run alittle "flat". 100kmph is a 7000revs but the bike red lines at 14thousand so im only getting around an extra 60k for 7000revs. I realise this is only a 250 should it go faster or am i expecting too much from the 250, thanks

quotejoss, May 9, 6:40am
my mate has one and thats pretty much the top speed.

kazbanz, May 9, 6:43am
with tuning. a pipe .carb work.correct gearingand dialing in cams you will get an indicated 180 from it -on the back straight of pukie---ask the guys that race em

jonniboi, May 9, 7:07am
Cheers. gonna take it in for a tune and service that should do the trick for now! should have just gotten a biger bike

daves01, May 9, 7:52am
People race these bikes!But 160km/h seems about right, they dont have the power of their 2 stroke brothers and remember that the drag forces are proportional to a square of yr speed and the only way to overcome that is more horsepower.

dsrturbo, May 9, 8:03am
A K&N Air Filters is the best upgrade you will ever make for a motorcycle.

kazbanz, May 9, 8:05am
Yep theres a race class for twin cylinder 250 four strokes.
It was basicly set up as an entry level class for younger riders.
You will be amazed what those 50kg kids are getting out of their bikes.

jonniboi, May 9, 8:06am
Hw much diferenc wil a new air filter make!

dsrturbo, May 9, 8:14am

kaymay88, May 9, 8:22am
jonniboi, what you are getting is about right, also, your speedo reads high, by probably 10-15% at that speed. its a 250cc parallel twin, dont expect much.
One of the guys I used to ride with had one, and he put a full 1 brothers exhaust on it, got it mapped and out a new filter in it, he reckoned it was a totally different bike, but before you go spending money on it, conisder this, You could spend two thousand dollars on it, and get 3 or 4 more horsepower out of it, and a bit more torque, OR, you could a=save the two grand, and when you sell it use your sale price plus your saved two grand, and you wil be able to buy anything from an SRAD GSXR600, to a reasonable late model ZX6r, etc etc with 100BHP. so really, spend 2 grand NOW for an extra 5 horsepower, or spend 2 grand extra when you get your full licence and get an extra 70 horsepower on a new bike.

kaymay88, May 9, 8:23am
1brothers should read 2 brothers. i should stop drinking heavily when Im posting.

mugenb20b, May 9, 8:24am
Who gives a shit!

dsrturbo, May 9, 8:52am
Not good

ninja_man, May 9, 8:54am
no point in modding the 250. wait until you get your full licence and get a bigger bike like the 650 version.

ninja_man, May 9, 9:05am
i put a k&n filter in my 650r. didnt feel any difference (they claim you get 1hp or something like that.). However an aftermarket exhaust makes a significant difference, better power and much less weight.

jonniboi, May 9, 9:22am
Yeah ill just wait and get me a bigger bike cheers guys. thisl keep me happy for 6mnths or so!

pzkpfw, May 9, 10:59am

kazbanz, May 9, 8:28pm
mate you fell into the same trap the backward hat brigade. JUST throwing a freerer flowing filter on your bike isn't going to do squat.
When I built my 650 I had a target of 80 RELIABLE hp -- It was dyno'd at 63 as a base run.
The rules meant I had to use stock filter and box so I bought a new factory filter. Heads off and new valves fitted and new rings.Barrels decked .5mm
4 degree advance key fitted.M4 exhaust system fitted. more agressive cams fitted. Tank raised 15mm on the front edge.Dynojet kit fitted with standard jets also fitted.The darn thing ran like a bag of effluent.
So 5 hours on the dyno rejetting and I had 75hp.from a brand new engine.
Once it was propperly run in and clearances reset andanother 5 hours dyno timewe had 79 hp
So a LOT of work and money to getrealistically 9 hp -the rest would have come from just refreshing the engine

sifty, May 9, 8:39pm
yep, just enjoy the 250 for a while, it may not be a rocket but should be a fun bike to throw around a bit. Not worth spending $$$ for extra oomph when it is far simpler and cheaper to buy one with extra capacity.

(which is why turbo bikes never really took off, incidentally)

ninja_man, May 9, 8:46pm
yeap thats a lot of work for 9hp increase. I wasnt aiming for a big power increase, i basically just wanted the k&n filter because its washable and a bit better flowing than stock. The new exhaust made a good difference though. saved about 5kg in the process. Dam those stock exhausts are so heavy!

motorboy2011, May 9, 9:38pm
you prob have better power to weight due to losing 5kg rather than the new exhaust giving you any more power.