Primera P10 Tune Up

imafreespirit, Apr 5, 4:57am
Hi. Have recently bought a 1993 primera SR18DE auto done 230kms.
Have been working on it as a project. The main problem I have with it is getting it started when it's cold. I've just been pumping the accelerator to get it going otherwise it usually won't work.
Have checked fuel pump, replaced fuel filter, new plugs, replaced AAC IACV, cleaned air flow sensor, adjusted timing. It's weird why it's so stubborn to start in the mornings.What could it be!
Also I'm about to change oil and filter but not sure what oil I should use. Would the cheap 20w50 mineral oil be ok or is synthetic better!

jason18, Apr 5, 5:01am
To thick that oil. I was told 10w 30 but for that milage may be better of with a 15w40 or similar.

kingfisher21, Apr 5, 5:47am
Don't pump the throttle, it acheives nothing in a fuel injected car, some actually cut fuel to the injectors if your foot is down while cranking.

imafreespirit, Apr 5, 6:30am
Thanks. Yeah I realize its not the best way to get the car going but with foot down it seems to help. About the only fuel related part to check out that I can think of is the cold start injector or the oxygen sensor which will cost a bit.
Anyone had problems starting with those parts!

mugenb20b, Apr 5, 7:16am
It won't be a cold start injector I can assure you. As for the O2 sensor.what makes you think it's that! What tests have you carried out to prove that O2 sensor is at fault!

I would start by doing things that cost NO MONEY, like CHECKING air filter, spark plugs, HT leads, compressions, fuel pressure and flow, timing, distributor and its cap and rotor, exhaust system, coolant flow to all the hoses, thermostat, etc. Also, clean out all the crap from the throttle body and idle air control valve. Sometimes, it's better to remove them first.

Once you are happy with all of the above, only then you can start checking sensors and shit.

eddiedean, Apr 5, 7:19am
Agree, thats the oil that oil changers use for mine, 96 sr20de auto

intrade, Apr 5, 8:08am
SR18DEis that not fuel injected! as pumpint the accelerator on a fuel injected engine does squat only on carburettors it does pump fuel in to the engine

johnf_456, Apr 5, 8:12am
A sr18de is a fuel injected engine.
SR - Engine Code,D - Dual Overhead Cam, E - Multi-port Fuel Injection

intrade, Apr 5, 8:17am
so there we go pumping the trottle does nothing other then open and close air intake port. You would want a nissan consult cable from blazt to see if a sensore is faulty like a temp sender or so.

morrisman1, Apr 5, 8:31am
A cold engine should have a resistance of approximately 3.5 thousand ohms across the two terminals. Check this with a multimeter and report back. If it is significantly different then it could be thinking it is hot and not activating the cold start program.

Resistance is lower when the temperature is higher, well thats how it should be. It should be about 300 ohms with engine at normal operating temperature

imafreespirit, Apr 5, 9:15am
Ok so as for the gas peddle opening air, would this indicate something to do with not enough air from somewhere! Air filter fairly good. Holding the accelerator down has an effect on helping with getting engine firing. Takes several turns without this trick.

Morrisman - are you referring to cold injector or battery terminals!

I'll head to town tomorrow and get some checks done.

hondalova, Apr 5, 10:58am
had same problem with my car since i owned it. it turned out to be the cold start fuse.under the dash 3rd fuse slot up on rhs. i had auto sparkie check it out. (mine was missing) but it will have something to do with cold start injection. i just pulled fuse out of my car and gave it throttle to start it.

doug207, Apr 5, 11:12am
Forget the O2 sensor, they need to be warm to generate a signal and as far as I can remember the SR18 had a non-heated one.

As said, the temp senders may be worth looking at and you might as well calibrate your TPS (should be adjustable)

morrisman1, Apr 5, 10:16pm
Oh sorry im referring to resistance over the two terminals of the engine coolant temperature sensor.