Can one buy a tiny electric angle grinder?

Page 1 / 2
flitt, Mar 30, 11:42pm
Had a little google and can only see the standard 4 1/2' ones. I need to get into a tight spot and cut some steel. I imagine a little model maker's angle grinder would do the trick. Do these exist!

flitt, Mar 30, 11:48pm
Huh, I've been thinking about this for 24 hours. 1 minute after asking i manage to remember the existance of those little dremel things. I wonder if one of those would manage to get through two layers of 1mm sheet.

lyonruge, Mar 30, 11:56pm
theres been atool advertised on tv lately, physically the sam size as a grinder, but with many different attatchments for cutting, sanding , griding etc, its just what you need, bunnings have a cheap version of it.

mugenb20b, Mar 31, 12:02am
The Renovator! That's a POS. Get a Bosch from Mitre 10.

lyonruge, Mar 31, 12:04am
That sound like it, looks like a fun toy to have though, how much is the bosch!

zak410, Mar 31, 12:04am
Dremel, available at Mitre 10 and similar places :

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx

mugenb20b, Mar 31, 12:18am
It's called a Multi tool, PMF 180 E. I paid around $200 for mine, but has heaps of uses, very handy. There is an orange coloured Bosch as well, much better quality but twice the price of a green one.

duffs77, Mar 31, 12:38am
A decent die grinder with a small cutting attachment would do that no sweat. Can get mini air powered grinders to that take smaller discs.

tmenz, Mar 31, 12:56am
Dremels are brilliant - should cut through 1mm sheet readily with the supplied metal cutting discs - there are cheaper clones available, Ryobi, Ozito, Dynalink etc.

flitt, Mar 31, 1:20am
I think air is the best option, but i don't think i can afford it. This is perfect: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200349990_200349990 but check the USD price, then i need a compressor.

Mind you, I just saw that one above linked is not a bad price. Need the angle of the one i linked though.

That Bosch thing looks handy, but still too cumbersome.

Dremel looks like the way to go. Problem is the angle is wrong. Cab you adjust the end of them with an attachment! Might be small enough to get at most of it.

noswalg, Mar 31, 1:32am
I haven't got a dremel but have the supercheap equivalent which i think I paid about $50 for over 5yrs ago and still goes great, the kit comes with a flexi cable type attachment that gets in just about anywhere, not sure if they still sell the kits though. Dremel probably do the same attachments but I've heard they're expensive tools

noswalg, Mar 31, 1:49am
search "rotary tool" on TM there are quite a few listed with the cable attachment which is probably just what you need, you will probably have to buy a cutting bit separately though

zak410, Mar 31, 2:14am
You can use a flex drive with the dremel.

elect70, Mar 31, 2:37am
You can buy a flexibleshaft that fits electric drillhas a small 1/4 inchchuck on endgreat for drilling in confined spacethenbuy littlecutting wheel on a spindle .

flitt, Mar 31, 3:59am
Just got back from a hardware store. Yes lol, saw the flexible drill shaft attachment and realised that would save me a lot of dough. But, they won't get in there. Nor will the dremel with flexi shaft. I need something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200349990_200349990

budgel, Mar 31, 4:39am
That grinder you link to is 17" long and weighs 4lb.

Can you post a link to a picture of what you have to cut!

pollymay, Mar 31, 6:25am
Die grinder/dremel sounds like what you want.

http://espimages.biz/2386/I/106/67/GSA672.jpg Or this thing http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/16275_lg.j
pg

Also looking at the pic you could use a BIG grinder and use the blade to reach in

gunhand, Mar 31, 7:20am
Air hack saw should do that.

donz01, Mar 31, 11:23am
I am with gunhand, air hack saw for sure.

daryl14, Mar 31, 7:06pm
Hack saw blade with a little plastic handle that holds one end and allows one end to stick out. kinda like a knife. Get from hardware store. cheap as.
Not everone has a compressor for air hacksaws aye!

budgel, Mar 31, 8:02pm
I wonder if a larger diameter cutting disc would get in there, or drill a series of small holes and use a cold chisel to take out what is in between.

flitt, Mar 31, 8:12pm
I had decided to do almost exactly these things. Gonna drill some holes and do my best to hacksaw it with the prescribed handle, which I already have. Thanks all for all suggestions.

flitt, Mar 31, 8:15pm
p.s. I had considered the larger blade on a larger grinder. However, the curvature of the piece to cut is a lot more than that of the cutting blade. Therefore, the larger cutting blade would have to cut through a part of the bottom layer (which i don't want to cut) before it could get through all the top.

biddy6, Mar 31, 8:38pm
You could maybe borrow a small plasma cutter, but again you will need air.

saki, Apr 1, 12:05am
I had a similar situation trying to get the front leaf spring bolt out of my cortina, grinder would do to much damage, the solution I went to bunnings and got a $88 power hacksaw with a 24tpi blade, in my case a short one job done in no time and no peripheral damage.