Dean Martins car

matthew111, May 18, 11:45pm
Dean Martins car shown in the Timaru Herald today for sale.Only 26 madein the world.

jmma, May 18, 11:50pm

pge, May 18, 11:59pm
Beautiful car from the firewall back, but, just a teensy bit heavy at the front!

Aside from that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It would certainly be desirable in the garage.

julian.walls, May 19, 12:12am
Its interesting to know that Corgi Toys made a model of one of these and sold over 200,000 of these worldwide compared to 26 real cars made (17 are around as of 2006) - a Chrysler Ghia 6.4 was also owned Lucille Ball and another by her husband Desi Arnaz; Peter Lawford owned one and few others
the Ghia 6.4 was derived from early custom built Dual Ghia of which one of those as convertible I think was restored here by one of New Zealands prestigious Panel Beater coach builders

Frank Sinata had one and his car was featured by Motor Trend Magazine
see Oct 1979 Motor Trend Pages 51;53-55 a Copy in the National Library Wellington and later March-April 2006 Motor Trend Classic page 28-34 issue 4 vs Lincoln Contintal Coupe Mk2 1956 vs Cadillac Eldorado 1958 this one was owned by actor Gary Cooper ; surprising this one 2 is Barris modified (so its not unique Sinatas is also Barris modified!) Sinatras was black and Coopers was dark blue

ceedoubleyou, May 21, 2:23am
sorry, it don't work for me. it looks all wrong. Eg: the fender edges, should somehow blend into the front, but they have to stop, like lil' horns above the oval front of the car and the rear of the car is really werid with2 sets of lights in different parts of the rear. Just doesn't work at all.

tigra, May 21, 3:12am
Well I owned a car in NZfor 10 yearsthat only 156 had been built . UK built sportscar called an Allard.

the-lada-dude, May 21, 3:30am
well i own a car that i use every day, and there's only 1/2 a dozen odd left running in nz

sifty, May 21, 3:39am
A lada.!

dr.doolittle, May 21, 3:40am
Well my Cadillac is likely a Barris custom & is probably the only one like it in the world. The 'Rat Pack', Elvis & others, owned them. Just saying.
Very cool car in the article though.

bitsy_boffin, May 21, 3:51am
Meh, I wouldn't buy it even if it were free.

Give me a small and agile British sports car over a ridiculously massive American whale any day.

robotnik, May 21, 3:54am
The original Ghia was beautiful, but the Barris customisations look pretty bad really, spoiling an elegant design.

dr.doolittle, May 21, 4:01am
What British sports car is comparable with this!

hopie, May 21, 4:02am
well my commodore is. oh hang on there are plenty of commys in NZ. as you were

friendly_prawn, May 21, 4:19am
I would love to have it as my daily drver.
Very cool!

trogedon, May 21, 4:55am
How many old ladies have sniffed the seats!

bitsy_boffin, May 21, 4:59am
That's the point.

This is an fundamentally ugly whale of a thing that probably has a turning circle approaching that of a half mile and to fill it up you really should have shares in Texaco.

A British sports car is not.

trogedon, May 21, 5:03am
Yep, compare apples with apples.

mrcat1, May 21, 8:07am
Peter Lawford, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin were the rat pack with Sammy Davis Jnr, Joey Bishop and the ring leader, Humphrey Bogart.

bowla3, May 21, 8:36am
Didn't the Allard have a Ford (USA) V8 motor!.
I remember seeing one do a couple of laps of Western Springs