Car not starting (update)

skittles93, May 19, 12:27am
Hi guys. So in the 71 roadrunner, we changed the batteries over to a brand new one. She is not even turning over. The cables from the battery are solid to the starter motor and earthed pretty well too. The horn works but the indicators etc don't. The rev meter jumps up and down slightly when I turn the key. Where do I go from here!

jerichord, May 19, 12:33am
check earth again

subs1, May 19, 12:37am
remove the starter and check that it actually spins up , or just buy a 2nd hand one and try it .

kazbanz, May 19, 12:40am
Im coming into this cold-but you have eliminated hydraulic lockup and rings stuck havent you!

bellky, May 19, 12:43am
Starter solanoid! - Give it a tap.

jmma, May 19, 12:52am
Is it in Park (o:

skittles93, May 19, 1:00am
Yep she is in park! Will check earth and tap starter/solenoids.

kingfisher21, May 19, 1:01am
Mmm, since it won't go I think you should give it to me, I'm sure I can find a use for it.

skittles93, May 19, 1:02am
Hi Kaz, yeah the car was running fine when it was loaded onto the ship. Do you think this could happen anyway!

mrfxit, May 19, 1:17am
Battery cables to recheck are .

Battery to starter
Battery to body earth
Body earth to engine earth
Others can be .
Remote starter switch connected to the starter solenoid
Pull covers off of the gear lever consul & bypass the drive inhibitor switch (just pull off the terminals & connect together)

Will the engine turn over by hand

tonyrockyhorror, May 19, 5:01am
Check the signal from the ignition switch start circuit is actually getting to the starter solenoid with a test light or multimeter.

skittles93, May 19, 5:09am
Will do, I was thinking the solenoid too. Normally if the starter motor is gone you usually hear a click or clunk don't you! The sound of the solenoid trying to turn it over! In this case it's silent so it could be the solenoid itself!

mrfxit, May 19, 7:50am
Hence . the suggestion of a remote starter switch

snoopy221, May 19, 9:22am
The horn works but the indicators etc don't. The rev meter jumps up and down slightly when I turn the key. Where do I go from here!

One important notable fault on early dodge/plymouth chrsler mopar. stuff-AND tis one that gets a LOT.
Is they have an amp metre wired in the system which over time gains high resistance.check with a volt metre that ya not losing volts via that amp metre.
Ya moit find 12.8 volts at the horn and 4 ta 6 volts at other circuits-K