Re-Registering Car Costs

starry8, May 30, 5:20am
Hey Guys. I know a few people have asked this before. But what are the costs of re-registering a car that is "no longer in the system". It is a 1994 Toyota Corolla and I am confident that it will pass a WOF. If I take it to VTNZ can they do everything then and there! How much does it cost! Thanks!

andy61, May 30, 5:32am
Ring VTNZ and they will be able to give you the cost ,better than guesswork .

hijacka, May 30, 6:33am
Depends if you take it apart yourself or pay them to do it. When i done my Impreza less than 1 year ago cost was about $650 and thats including 1year reg new plates etc. Quite time consuming i was there for about 4hours dismantling and assembling it you have to remove the inner trims and get it all signed off take brake pads out etc etc, If i didn't do it myself the cost would be around $1000. Hope that helps

brokebloke1, May 30, 6:43am
! why did you have to take the car apart ( hijacka) is this a new thing now at VTNZ !
Last time I took a car to get reregistered I didnt have to do that car was a 1990 Commodore cost was about $600 forwof, new plates and 6 month rego

starry8, May 30, 7:07am
Was that a new import! That sounds like what they do when you import a car into the country.

gizmsme, May 30, 7:12am
The check is the same.As faras i know the only difference will be the minimum period of registration.I believe that with a freshly complied import the minimum licensing period is 6 months!

starry8, May 30, 7:14am
Hmm. The lady at VTNZ was very vague on the topic. I guess I just drop it off and pay what they invoice!

gizmsme, May 30, 7:25am
. Anything reg after 1991 requires the assembly to be bared and inspected for correct assembly and damage. The scuff panels, pillar covers, seatbelt fixings, boot linings, belly plates and inner guard linings are removed to make this possible.Price will vary depending on who you use. Vehicles of a different classification don't require guard linings and belly tags removed (full chassis) mb class I think.

starry8, May 30, 7:33am
Here is information on it: http://iforce.co.nz/i/sxeqrkk1.fth.png - I assume I will have to pay the rego back for the 14 months it has been out and then pay for new rego and wof fees. I will post and let you know what happens in a few days .

gizmsme, May 30, 7:33am
Also the brakes are inspected for recognizedbranding and wear. Rest is routine stuff really.

supernova2, May 30, 10:27am
All that bother and cost for a four month lapse of memory.

starry8, May 30, 11:25pm
x1
UPDATE: Once the REGO has lapsed for more than a year (even if by one day) then the car needs to be Re-Registered. This required VTNZ or other approved agent to do an "invasive inspection process" the same one that is done on vehicles as they are imported into the country. This requires them to remove trim etc inside the car and takes two days. This costs $450 (varies slightly between stations) however includes your first WOF. You are then required to pay a Registration Fee. This is around $250 (Depending on the size of your vehicle) and includes your first six months of Rego. So you are looking at around $700, with that you get six months of REGO and a new WOF, so really the total cost of Re-Registering is $700 - $50 (WOF) - $150 (Six Months Rego) = $500. Please note that not all VTNZ stations do this inspection and you are required to book in advance. I hope this helps someone out. :)

utbwb, Jun 21, 8:42am
Can I tag onto this, and ask, if a vintage car, does it HAVE to be bought up to modern standards before it is passed, eg rear seatbelts etc! There is an old girl I am looking at buying that needs re registering as the plates are dead,but want to know overall costs before committing to it. It's out of town though, is there a vehicle inspection type service that would go to the vehicle to advise what it will fail warrant on!

magoo2, Jun 21, 9:08am
if it didnt require them when first registered ,it shouldnt now.I re registered a 1954 mk1 zephyr a few years ago and it doesnt need any seatbelts

utbwb, Jun 21, 9:10am
Thanks magoo! Still got it!