Holden commodore 3.8 v6 thermostat opening temp!

ali.m, Jun 30, 9:19pm
Just got a new thermostat for my 3.8 holden looked at it before i put it in and saw its opening temp was 92 degrees . . . quite high i thought, is there a thermostat around with a lower opening temp as the car runs at 92 to around 110 cruzing at 100k wich seems hot!

attitudedesignz, Jul 1, 12:39am
Agree with scotty. The 3.8s are notorious for running 'cool', the VN ran very cool so when they did the VP the tried to make it run warmer by covering most of the "grille" opening. Didn't work tho', my VRs normal temp is on the first mark above 'cold'. If yours gets up to 110 you may have an issue somewhere.

ali.m, Jul 2, 1:51am
What would cause it to get to around 110 then!, have just had both head gaskets done and waterpump so cant be that. . .

thunderbolt, Jul 2, 2:33am
Was the rad cleaned out and tested!

ceebee2, Jul 2, 3:30am
Are you only going by the temp gauge as they can be unreliable, get a thermometer, get a garage to actually check the radiator temp.

A good indicator to go by is if you put a finger on the centre of the cap and cannot keep it there for a short time it is probably running hotter than normal. DO NOT remove the cap when hot. You don't say what mileage or year the car is.

ali.m, Jul 2, 3:31am
Not sure mate but i dont think so, could the core maybe be no good!

attitudedesignz, Aug 18, 9:47am
Get the radiator checked, if it's no good just get a new one, got one for my VR for $220 inc so they're not badly priced.

Also, ifyour car is a VR, check rad' tank on drivers side at the top mounting point. They're prone to tiny cracks there and they're very hard to spot.