Yay or Nay? Car Cover

pcguitarist, May 21, 10:55pm
I'll be living in Ohakune throughout winter, taking up my 97 Subaru Forester. There will be no under cover parking, so will be out in the open. It will be used once every 1-2 weeks mainly for trips back to Palmerston North (2hrs).

Questions is, should I keep a car cover on it! If yes, can you recommend one! If no, what other options would you recommend!

I've seen some at the shops which are dust/moisture resistant and not too sure about that.

tigra, May 21, 11:10pm
Should be good because you will be "airing" it every couple of weeks. they can get condensation under them that can cause surface rust, or dull paintwork. Other thing to watch is wind damage. probably unlikely in Ohakune but the wind can cause them to flap which in turn can damage paintwork if left for longer periods.

geedubu, May 22, 4:29am
Nobody replied to my question about a Carcoon, probably because the outdoor ones cost $1795, but maybe someone on this thread knows about them!Sorry about the hijack!For your application the $200 reserve temp carport on TME looks good.Or a decent car cover with a cheap plastic tarp on the ground under it as damp up from the ground, especially if you are on grass, is a killer.

unclejake, May 22, 5:43am
IMHO a car cover outside is a really bad thing. In the wind they rub paint off the edges of the body.

I would leave the car uncovered

naphtha, May 23, 7:44am
Just saw aussie garden program on tv today. Two rows steel fence posts driven into ground to suit length and width + of car. Concrete slab square mesh wired vertical to posts of each rows, to form walls.Tops of mesh pulled towards each other and wired to form rounded arch roof. Two layers of cheap tarps fitted over arch roof and tied down to bottoms of mesh. Should keep dry and not rub on car. When finished, dismantle and sell posts and mesh. Could also lay plastic sheet, or similar, on ground under car to prevent moisture rising, causing rust.

kcc55a, May 23, 8:33pm
Years ago "bellows " type car covers used to be advertised for sale. These consisted of a series of aluminium tube hoops with waterproof fabric attached. You laid it on the ground at the back of the car and you pulledit up and over your car. Covered the car in the form of a hemisphericalcover. not a good description but you probably get the picture.Must be fairly easy to make for a smart DIY guy.

pcguitarist, May 23, 9:21pm
Thanks for your ideas. So I gather it's either no cover, or go to a few lengths to make a make-shift car port. As I don't know about the right's in my parking area, I think I'll just wait and see how it goes when I move.

yachtie3, May 24, 12:16am
Agreed, but a good coat of really good polish applied will help lots.

compchick, May 25, 12:08am
@ geedubu This is what we found to put our pride and joy in (below) as we have heard there are problems with the carcoon mainly the zipper scratching the car and the hassle of getting at it.

http://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/How-to-errect-an-Airchamber.html